What exactly is an AC ton?

In Germany it's Pferdestärke, or PS.

I'm not sure about all diesel engines, that's why I emphasized GASOLINE. I know that many diesels, especially the gigantic ones they use on ships, in power plants, etc., were rated in kW. Like the ones from this interesting German company:

Karl S

Perhaps I should have said that a bit different - most of the countries that are officially metric (which is most countries) will not be using HP for anything, except informally.

Do a google search for "kw engine power", and you'll see countries all over the world (JP, AU, KR, SE, DE, UA, PL etc) using Kw, often alone, or sometimes with a horsepower rating in brackets.

Not just diesels. I saw a australian web pages with stihl weedwacker specs that only quoted kilowatts.

Most people in Canada are familiar with horsepower, not watts of mechanical energy, but government regulation/documents produced since metrification I believe are in watts and kw.

The Owner's manual for our car gives both.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

My motor has a shaft and a belt. Do I need a net too? :)

Reply to
mm

The ammount of heat required to melt one ton of ice, over a 24 hour period. Ending up with 32 degree (F) water.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

: >

: > > A ton is equal to 12,000 BTUs

CY: Correction. that's 12,000 BTU per hour.

and is the amount of heat : > > energy required to melt : > > 2000 pounds (907kg) of ice in one hour.

CY: Wrong. Rate of heat required to melt a ton in 24 hours.

: : Indeed. For those who didn't catch it, a ton of ice takes the : same amount of energy to melt, regardless of how long it takes. : : [Especially when you notice the other posting that says "of ice : in 24 hours..."] : -- : Chris Lewis,

CY: However, a ton specifies the rate of 24 hours.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Reply to
Telstra

While we're at it, one would think that they would specify that the ice must be at 32F, so that it's the sublimation heat. Otherwise, I could take ice that is at -50 deg and ice that is at 32F and it would take two different amounts of energy to melt it.

Reply to
trader4

Well, precisely they do...

"In the US, the standard commercial "ton" of refrigeration represents a performance capacity rate equivalent to the cold effect of a ton of ice (2000 lb) melting per day from and at 32F, latent heat of fusion taken at 144 Btu/lb."

-- Perry's Chem E Handbook, 4th Ed, 12-4

Reply to
dpb