What do you think of this plan to get rid of bedbugs?

Correction to the above. I meant to say "it (the furnace) would do the job without resorting to screwing around with dryer vents, moving stoves..... etc

That's why I said you may need to disable a safety on the furnace to do it.

Reply to
trader4

I notice that. I waited to see if anyone else did before posting, and you yourself did!

I noticed that too, but I'm very gullible, so, with only that one problem afaicould tell, I believed it.

How would he get it down to 69 when it was 95 out the previous day? He would have to use AC. I wouldnt' do that. I'd turn off hte heat but let it stay as hot as it did to finish killing whatever bugs weren't totally dead yet. After all the trouble he describes, would he really want to rely on 8 hours being enough? What if they are living in the Thermos bottle or the portable beer cooler. (I know they don't live in places like that, but maybe they flee to them like people would to fallout shelter. I think even as cheap as I am, I'd stay at a motel that night, or in a sleeping bag in the back yard.

Reply to
mm

Isn't there a sign at the Arizona border: "Warning! Bedbugs, too hot to be happy here."

Reply to
mm

On Wed 29 Dec 2010 05:28:37p, mm told us...

I think it's been within the past year that the Phoenix area has had an infestation of bedbugs. Many apartment buildings fumigate a unit before a new tenant moves in. If that tenant then gets bedbugs, it's their responsibility to have the unit fumigated again.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Says who ?

Health codes are the responsibility of the landlord whom the tenant pays rent to...

Unless the tenant was very messy and creating a health hazard for which the could be evicted, then the landlord is responsible for providing a legally rentable units free of pests and health hazards...

Also, fumigating only one unit at a time in an apartment building would be USELESS, you either nuke the whole building treating ALL units at the same time or keep having issues with whatever infestation until you do...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

I guess it's possible. I have read reports that heat works for killing bedbugs and that some companies use steam cleaners on beds, furniture, etc.

If the house has a sprinkler system I think most of them are set to go off at 135 degrees. So getting the house up to 130 degrees would seem risky if there is a sprinkler system in place.

Also, there is a health > I wanted to get your reaction to this plan.

Reply to
RogerT

How many houses have sprinkler systems. WIH, would you set the things to

135F?

Utter nonsense. Irrelevant, but nonsense nonetheless.

Reply to
krw

In Pennsylvania, as of January 1, 2011, all newly constructed one-family and two-family dwellings are now required to have sprinkler systems. If you look up residential sprinkler systems online, you'll find that most are set at 135F.

No, not nonsense, and not necessarily irrelevant. I see that you must have missed a few days when they were teaching politeness at charm school.

Reply to
RogerT

More stupid laws from busybodies "helping" you.

Pure bullshit. If what you say were true, no one could live in Phoenix, AZ. Calling it "nonsense" was being kind.

Reply to
krw

Have a cite for that claim? I find it more than a bit dubious.

There is a big difference between "uncomfortable" and "burn". You can sit in a sauna that is heated way over that temp without being burned.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Sure. Here are a few. Looks like California also now has the same requirement as Pennsylvania as of January 1, 2011.

RogerT