[SOLVED] Wet saw breaks tile at end of cut (2024 Update)

replying to Lynn Burton, Sidders3lee wrote: Rite on man. I didn't read the date but I read the entire post. Thanks for leaving it up. Nine days or nine years this post saved my ass. Thanks to all.

Reply to
Sidders3lee

replying to Lynn Burton, laf wrote: Truth. Thanks for your help, Lynn.

Reply to
laf

replying to Sam Hill, Jack P wrote: No, but I am here facing the same issue in December 2016 :-) so the late comments are helpful.

Reply to
Jack P

You need to cut slowly and gently at the end. Better is to back up the final edge with something else, a piece of wood will do, so the blade doesn't blow out the tile. Another way is to stop the cut an inch or so from the end, turn it 180 degrees and finish the cut. If you were getting wedge shaped blowouts, try cutting it bottom up; that can leave the top of the tile good, blowing out the bottom of the edge which won't show and which will just get filled with grout.

Finally, if your tile can be cut via score and snap, dump the wet saw and do that, It is faster and you get better edges.

Reply to
dadiOH

replying to Lynn Burton, Mh wrote: It's 2017 and I'm just reading this for my project

Reply to
Mh

If your saw is breaking the tile you need to ease off pushing as you reach the end of your cut .

  --   Snag
Reply to
Terry Coombs

Mh posted for all of us...

Thank you for this information. What is your project? Have you investigated news readers?

Reply to
Tekkie®

replying to Lynn Burton, Michael Biese wrote: I was thinking the same thing Lynn...now its been over 10 years since the original question, and I got the answer I was looking for.

Reply to
Michael Biese

replying to Lynn Burton, LMAO wrote: Good point...

Reply to
LMAO

replying to Jack P, Gtbread wrote: Thank you for the information it is timeless .i will try it when I start cutting tile for my project again .

Reply to
Gtbread

replying to Jack P, Gtbread wrote: Thank you for the information it is timeless .i will try it when I start cutting tile for my project again .

Reply to
Gtbread

replying to Sam Hill, CactussJack wrote: Hi Guys, Cactus Jack here. Thanks for the suggestions, now I can finally finish my tile job!

Reply to
CactussJack

replying to Sam Hill, CactussJack wrote: Hi Guys, Cactus Jack here. Thanks for the suggestions, now I can finally finish my tile job!

Reply to
CactussJack

replying to DerbyDad03, Hiram1999 wrote: Best response quote I've seen. :)

Reply to
Hiram1999

replying to Sam Hill, Caleb Stephens wrote: Maybe he wasn't but I had the same problem today and was looking for a solution. Thanks everyone!

Reply to
Caleb Stephens

Hello, all. I recently bought a 7" wet tile saw. Nothing fancy, just an inexpensive Home Depot saw. The saw does a great job of cutting; however, on some types of tile, at the end of the cut it tends to chip or break a corner off the tile. Does anyone know a way to prevent this from happening? \ The only thing I've found that seems to help is to slow down the tile feed to a creep as I approach the edge of the tile, but this does not always prevent the chipping. Thanks, Jack

Reply to
Cactus Jack

Push the tile thru with a scrap piece . That way the trailing edge will be supported as it clears the blade .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

I don't know how much tiling you do.

Last time, I just did one room.

I broke some tiles cutting them too. I had spare tiles, of course, but rather than break them all! I got smart.

I marked the tiles I needed cut. I took them back to the store where I bought them. For ten cents each, they cut them perfectly. That ten cents saved a $100 worth of frustration.

If you were doing a huge project maybe that ten cents would add up. Not for most of us though.

Reply to
TimR

  Who are you talking to ? You have removed all attributions from the post ... FWIW I made a living from tile (and other home repair)work for several years , and the technique I described works very well .
Reply to
Terry Coombs

replying to Sam Hill, Roger J. Bos wrote: Ok, but don't the replies still help other people with the same questions? I am reading this.

Reply to
Roger J. Bos