well water pump: constant work or on/off?

I just installed an additional filter in my water system (well water). When it's backwashing (during regeneration) the flow of water is so strong that my well pump has to go on without stop for about 25 min. (instead of on and off as with any other cases) meaning the pump doesn't pump enough water to offset water consumption by the filter. My concern is about pump. What is better from the pump durability point of view: to have pump work for 25 minutes without break or that pump will go on and off every minute (25 times). In the last case at least there is a break for the pump evry other minute.

Thanks in advance

Reply to
vahania

Running a pump constantly that supplies the amount of water being used, is easier on it and more efficient, than starting and stopping it constantly. Current draw is highest when an electric motor is started.

A bigger concern is whether your well has the capacity to supply that amount of water without drawing down excessively, exposing the inlet, and sucking air. Running a pump dry is not recommended.

Then some pump companies overrate motors to be cheaper. For example they may try to get 1/2 hp work out of a 1/3 hp motor, figuring that it will not overheat if just run intermittantly. Then you start wondering how long is too long.

Reply to
David Efflandt