well pump pressuer switch location

I saw where someone wrote in about the pressure switch must be near the tank for proper operation. Is this correct ?

My above ground pump is about 100 feet away from the storage tank and the switch is at the well.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Dean Hoffman

Logic says it should be near the tank but most pumps seem to come with the switch on the pump. Usually they are not that far apart but in some cases they can be. The problem is any pressure difference in the pipe between them. The switch may turn off and by the time the water gets to the tank and stabilizes you have eaten up some of that on/off difference. When I bought this house the switch was on the pump out in the yard (where it collected ants) but the tank was 40 feet away. The pipe was 1.25" so it wasn't a big deal. Now the whole cludge is in a purpose built shed 3 feet off the ground to keep the ants out and so I can stand up to work on stuff.

Reply to
gfretwell

For above-ground pumps I suppose...although the logic to have it on the pump seems strange. Wonder how that's actually sampled to not simply cut it off--the pump discharge pressure has to be greater than the cut-off pressure in order to be able to pump against...

The well here was separated 200 yards or more from the pressure tank when new well drilled...the pressure switch is where always been on a X-cross at the inlet to the tank.

I'm w/ agreement with the shed--could never understand the ones I've seen that weren't. This is a 10x14 block building w/ heater...it originally also house the well with a surface pump before that one sanded up the reason for the size so was big enough to be able to pull and service the well, not just hold the tank.

Reply to
dpb

Do switches mounted directly on the pumps have some sort of flow restrictor between the pump and switch? One well I remember had 1/4" or so coiled copper tubing between the well and the pressure gauge. The tubing might have been oil filled but I don't remember.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

I think it's nice that it had a hobby.

Reply to
micky

I suspect it is to avoid warranty problems caused by an old, maybe bad or misadjusted switch. They make it a single unit with a 3 wire, 2 pipe hookup and you get a new switch calibrated to that pump.

Reply to
gfretwell

No it is just a 1/4" vinyl or ABS tube with 1/4" NPT male adapters on each end. It goes from a port on the pressure housing to the switch.

Reply to
gfretwell

Not when you are out there at midnight in your underwear knocking the ants out so your wife can get a drink of water. ;-)

Reply to
gfretwell

"Two pipe"? Totally unfamiliar with such an arrangement...the second must be a byposs? or it's a static pressure leg?

Reply to
dpb

Oh. Hadn't seen this prior to above...so is just a static leg.

I much prefer just running the switch leg to the contacts over trying to keep that up.

Reply to
dpb

One in, one out

Reply to