Weird/Funny

Reading the Atlanta paper about the guy who painted his house garishly, among other things, when the city refused his zoning variance reminded me of an instance in Phoenix about 18-20 years ago. An over the road truck driver was repainting his home located just off of

48th St. As he was only working when he was off the road, the painting was going slow. Neighbors complained to the city, not sure of their basis, and the owner was cited for ?failure to complete in a timely manner?. No regs existed as to color and after being cited the owner painted his home the most awful looking iridescent purple that I have ever seen. I drove 48th St. on my way to work and saw this daily. It sure brought attention to the neighborhood! I was there about 3 years ago and the house was a beige color.
Reply to
M. L. Dent

And about the same time period, on Chandler Blvd (about 10mi E of there), just off downtown Chandler, a guy wanted to convert his houses (2) to a commercial business zoning from residential. Neighbors objected, so city refused to change the zoning or give special use permit and he painted his two houses. If I remember correctly, in addition to wierd colors, he added big daisies or something. A lot of individualism in Arizona...and "mavericks", but then lets not interject politics here :-) Tom G

Reply to
Tom G

One of the houses was lime green with purple polka-dots, there were a few yellow smiley-faces, and a couple of daisies like you used to see on the side of a 60's VW Microbus.

Stayed like that for over a year IIRC.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry

A local guy was rebuilding his property on a budget, he owned A MATTRESS SHOP

they cited him for slow progress, so he sprayed the building a horrible purple pink blend.

he made the news which increased his business

Reply to
hallerb

Atlanta has zoning?

Pity.

Reply to
HeyBub

I lived in Puerto Rico for a few years and these are "normal" colors down there :) purple, flamingo pink, day-glo green, cobalt blue, etc... often at the same time.

Reply to
RickH