Website for installing a garden faucet?

Hi, I'm looking for a website that shows you how to install a garden faucet (I think that's what it's called. Please look at my photo below) If someone can post a link I'd really appreciate it. I looked and looked and came up empty. Thanks for any help. Pam

Pamela

First tell us what you trying to install it on, or is it a whole "new" installation at a location which didn't have one there already?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Do not install a plain valve like the one pictured in the yard, where there's no protection from freezing temperatures. You should put in a "yard hydrant" because there's no water in the spigot when it's turned off. If you're talking about a valve on the side of the house, you can use a "plain" one.

-B

Jeff, look at the link again as I just added a photo of the problem faucet. As you can see it's wrapped with string to help slow the spray of water when it's turned on. I think all I have to do is: 1. Turn off the water to the house. 2. Take a wrench and remove bad faucet. 3. Then screw on the new one, right? Do you have to put some sealant type of goop or something on the threads so they stay water-tight?

Pamela

B, I don't know if what you said applies to me as it doesn't freeze here.

Pamela

It might be simpler and cheaper to turn off your water main, undo the top of your valve, and replace the packing that has worn from around your stem. (Most times, it will look like a smaller version of the string that you have wrapped around your valve top. Only it will go inside the cap that your string is resting on top of.) Otherwise, you have the correct procedure. You might want a different "new" valve as the one you have shown will spray water down and back towards the house. Also, get your self a 3/4" x 2"-3" pipe nipple and a 1/2" x

2"-3" pipe nipple. This way, when you unscrew the old valve, if any of the old pipe comes with it, you can just screw in the new piece. And yes, you will want to put sealant on the pipe threads. Whether it is the fluid / putty type or teflon tape is up to you.
Reply to
Mark and Kim Smith

You beat me to it. That's exactly what I would have told her. With the addition that if she's dead set on having a new faucet...And already owns the new one (properly called a "hose c*ck") and can't exchange it, and there's enough room to spring that vertical pipe away from the wall a bit.....She could probably remove the old faucet, nipple and elbow and screw the new one right onto the top of the vertical pipe.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Thank you so much! I'm going to give it a try. I see what you mean, I bought the wrong type. The one I bought would have water spray towards the house! Geeze! I goofed again, and probably not the last time! Ha! Thanks!

Reply to
Pamela

Thanks Jeff! And thanks for posting the actual name of the darn thing! I've been referring to it as a "faucet" ,"spigot" and "garden water valve thingy" for weeks now!

Thanks, and wish me luck!! Pam

Reply to
Pamela