water well problems

I have a 3/4 hp water well approx 120 ft deep. We had a cold snap today and at first I thought the pipes were frozen. I put in a heater in the well house, pipes are warm and still nothing. When I disengage the pressure switch you can hear a rumbling sound down in the well casing and the pipes shake briefly. After I reeingage the pressure switch you can hear the pump running and feel a slight vibration on the pipes but still nothing.

Here is my set up-

From house to pressure switch >From switch to relay box on wall >From relay box to pump.
75 gallon bladder pressure tank

Been without water 24 hours so far. 8 people in household.....

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Crenycrew

Reply to
crenycrew

With an ammeter you could tell what the motor is drawing, which would let you know if it's a motor-electric problem or a plumbing problem

Reply to
RBM

Would appear pump is at least running, then. That doesn't prove it's pumping, of course.

Other suggestion on checking running currents/leg is good start to check motor condition -- will need a clamp-type ammeter as not easy to get a small meter for 10+ A inline.

If you did have a freeze-up somewhere, it would be likely in my estimation to be outside the well house perhaps at the lead in and perhaps it is still not thawed where it actually froze. Depends on how the piping runs, of course.

Do you not have a valve at the well discharge that you can open to check directly? That's always first check I make.

Failing in those, sounds like time to call well-service if you don't have service/diagnostic skills.

Reply to
dpb

Thank all for the info. At the point where the pipe comes out of the ground inside the well house there is a faucet between the pump and the tank. no water. Also removed the pressure guage and no water there either (also before the pressure tank).

Well service is coming this morning.

We'll see what the problem is and I'll post results.

Thanks again.

Crenycrew

Reply to
crenycrew

Well here's the scoop....

My pump at the bottom of the well disconnected itself from the pipe. We pulled the pump cleaned it up and reinstalled it. Turned everything back on and got low water pressure. Called well service back out and just replaced the pump totally.

Oh yea I forgot to metion that the date on the pump was Aug 1985!!!!!

21 years old.... Good pump. Even though it was severerly rusted and screen almost totally clogged. It pumped a lot of water in its lifetime.

$1383.13 later new pump and lots of water pressure.

Thanks all for your quick response. Gotta go take a shower now!!!!! YEAH!!!!!

Crenycrew

Reply to
crenycrew