Other uses for spare 3-tab shingles?

Save a couple to put in your trunk in the winter, if you live in an area that gets heavy snow. They're heavy, and if you get stuck, you can set them under your back tires for traction.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Are there any other uses for spare 3-tab shingles?

Have any of you ever used any for anything other than a roof? (Not counting shingling a dog house)

I did a temp repair about 3 years ago on my roof and only used a portion of the package of 3-tab standard asphalt? shingles.

Now the whole roof is redone, in a different color, and I'm still saving the shingles, just like I save spare pieces of wood, metal, cloth, etc. And I often use these scraps. More to the point, whenever I need something small, I almost always have it.

But the shingles are still outside, and don't store well, and if I'm never going to use them, I'll throw them away. I can't imagine that freecycle wants them, less than a package.

Reply to
mm

well, i have seem them nailed on outdoor stairs/ ramps for a good non-skid surface.

Reply to
marson

Uh, not outside they don't. A month or two in the sun, and the glue spots leak past that tiny plastic strip, and the whole stack is stuck together. Trust me, I did construction cleanup as a kid, and getting all the crap off the property for the landscape crew to move in was always a joy. Even full bundles in the wrap are supposed to be stored under cover until delivered to the work site.

OP should give them to local Habitat ReStore, if they will take them. Otherwise, just use as expendable foot path/weed shield in garden, between the rows. Or leave them at curb with a 'free' sign- that usually works.

aem sends...

Reply to
<aemeijers

Label them "weed killing panels"...

Reply to
Goedjn

I would be glad to do that, but it&#39;s less than one package. Do you really think they would want them?

That&#39;s a good idea. My friend found me a gas grill that way. ...except I live on quiet street and I don&#39;t think any of my neighbors even know how to repair a roof.

Reply to
mm

A very god idea. Thanks.

And thanks to all.

Reply to
mm

I saw on tv where someone used it for temp traction in snow. Considering how well tires are made today, and front wheel drive, I don&#39;t know how often you would use them.

later,

tom @

Tom The Great