Water Volume of 30 inch culvert??

If it is a cylinder and it is totally filled to capacity it will hold 147 US Gal's = 122 Imp. Gal's according to the calculator at

joe

Reply to
JoeT

Any allowance for evapotranspiration? Not all the rainfall must drain out as a liquid. In some climates, this accounts for a very significant proportion of the annual rainfall.

We did this back in 9th grade Earth Science.

Yeah, does he REALLY want to know the volume it will HOLD, or the rate that it will FLOW??? The first answer is hardly ever what a culvert is used for.

Not in the context of a "culvert", which is generally understood to be some sort of pipe or conduit possesing the property of volume, and is never defined simply as a flat surface. In light of the fact the OP may not know how to calculate the volume based on the dimensions, it's not surprising they referred to the diameter as width. Perhaps in their mind's eye the object simply has width and length. If they happen to be standing the culvert on end to serve as a tank, their use of the term 'width' is even more understandable, albeit imprecise.

To be precise, the OP wasn't even asking how many gallons the culvert could hold, they were asking if "anyone could calculate the number of gallons", so your subsequent post answering the question with the numeric value in gal. is incorrect. The technically correct answer is a qualified 'yes', anyone who knows the proper formula can calculate the number of gallons. I think someone else has already answered correctly.

oh yeah... lol

AL

Reply to
AL

Yes, I was indeed asking to know the number of gallons. That question has been graciously answered, along with a lot of foolish fluff..............

Thanks again Guys and Gals !!

--James--

Reply to
James

So, to satisfy the curiosity of all the fluff generators, are you using the culvert as a cistern for water storage? An opaque goldfish tank? The question did not specify water, but the subject line did, so I would suppose you're not going to store oil or milk or some other fluid. And why the specific dimensions? Is this something you just happen to have found in a corner of the kitchen?

James wrote:

Reply to
dps

Yes, the use of the culvert is for a water reservoir.

--James--

Reply to
James