Water seepage from bathroom into kitchen

Hi all

I am about to move into a unit which seems to have a plumbing problem in the bathroom. It seems that waste water from the bathtub is leaking into the cavity below the tub (which is sealed) and is seeping through the walls into the adjacent room (the kitchen). The result is a damp, black track along the base of the kitchen wall and a very unpleasant smell (in the kitchen, that is). The bathroom does not suffer this problem and has no smell. How can this be fixed? Does it mean that the bathtub has to be ripped out and sealed properly? Im guessing it is a big job, but it may take some time for the owner (a government department :) to fix it.

In the meantime, what can I do to at least reduce the smell, which is very off-putting. The only thing I can think of is to use bleach to kill any mould/germs. Any other suggestions?

Thanks MQ

Reply to
MQ

Tom Kendrick