water seal on wooden things

It`s springtime and it`s time to put waterseal on all of the outdoor stuff. Outdoor benches,front porch steps, and picnio tables. What would be best to use? Is thompsons oil base a good product? thanks for any repy

Reply to
herb white

You'd do about as well with linseed oil.

Many (most?) of the proprietary sealers are linseed oil, thinner and a bit of wax (the wax is what makes the water bead). Some include a bit of clay.

Reply to
dadiOH

I'd go with Penofin. It has served me well.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Thompson's only lasts a year. Is this one better?

Reply to
Frank

I get a couple of years from it and it has good UV protection.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

One of the most important aspects of protecting your furniture is to know w hat kind of weather you will be dealing with. Someone who lives in Arizona won't necessary need a water sealant, but may want to more heavily consider painting his furniture to protect it from the sun. A person living in New Jersey, however, may want to consider the water sealant. Most people know t he weather in their area, so be sure to acquire the furniture protection yo u will actually need. A good way to protect your outdoor wooden furniture i s varnish. Visit your local home store and look at your options. Different varnishes do exist, so be sure to acquire an outdoor varnish that is right for you. Again, like the water sealer, this will maintain the look of your furniture's wood, but won't protect it as well as paint. Also, with varnish , be sure to reapply a coat at least every few years to maintain its streng th. Get more information

ngs.html

Reply to
Albert Mclaren