Water pipes

My brother-in-law needs to replace the faucet and controls in his bathroom. He currently has steel pipes. Would we be better off pulling it out all and replacing it with copper?

Thanks Rob

Reply to
Rob Hall

No. You will open a can of worms.

Typically, the old faucet has 3/8" brass/chrome supply lines from either a stop valve or fitting attached to the iron pipe. (The supply line could also be a newer flex style.)

If that is what you find, remove the old brass/chrome supply lines and attach new ones (solid or flex).

I would recommend picking up a basic home plumbing book; they usually have excellent pictures of this kind of repair.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Yes, but that is a big job, replumbing the house.

Reasons not to would be acidic water (eats copper), check what is appropriate in you area. get a permit if needed, etc.

Half inch iron pipe is like 3/8" copper, before it gets all corroded on the inside. You'll get a lot better flow, etc, but you'll need to re-plumb all the way back to the supply.

Reply to
John Hines