water noise

A year old house is starting to have a noise problem when water, hot or cold, is turned off in all locations. Coming from the pipes behind the walls, a low frequency groan lasting several seconds . This is a new phenomenon never noticed during the first year. I am wondering if the outside water pressure regulator is going bad. I have no other ideas. Any comments help appreciated, Seamus J. Wilson

Reply to
sligo

sligo

Groaning, moaning, fog-horn type resonances are almost always caused by a failing toilet ballcock.

Have someone create the groan while you go around and either shut off each toilet supply in turn or hold the tank float up. That should tell you which one to replace.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

See:

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

You don't happen to live in or near Amityville, do you?

Steve ;-)

Reply to
SteveB

I've had that happen a couple times. Try bending the arm on the float downward a little and see if that takes care of the problem....

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab