Water heaters

for a year

newer water heaters have much smaller pilot light flames

Reply to
hallerb

But we really aren't talking (1) the difference between tankless and one with a tank--which is what this article is discussing and (2) the savings of shutting down the pilot for a week. I can guarantee you that the difference isn't all that much over a week to 10 days of vacation.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

the reason was safety. the dum bastards that insisted on keeping a can of gas next to their water heater caused this. Now they have combustible gas detectors and sealed chambers with spark ignition. There's no way a pilot uses ANY where near the amount of gas you were "quoted".

steve

Reply to
Steve Barker DLT

and that's coming from a company trying to sell a product. (a shitty one at that)

Steve Barker DLT

or even a year....

Steve Barker DLT

On Dec 10, 10:36=A0am, " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

Point well taken, however...... I left for a 3 day minivacation and a water line in the house broke.

10,000 gallons of water flooded the house while I was gone. Yeah, I was paranoid and turned the water off everytime I left for about a year. It takes time to get over those things.

KC

Reply to
KC

I've never had a disaster and I turn my water off every *every* time i leave the house. Even if it's to go to the back 40 shooting range for an hour. If you only used 10,000 gallons in a 3 day leak, it must have been a small one. I used 18,000 when my garden hose blew up and we were gone for 23 hours. ('course i have 123 psi of pressure also, only on the frost free garden hose outlet out in the yard) The house is regulated to about 63.

Point well taken, however...... I left for a 3 day minivacation and a water line in the house broke.

10,000 gallons of water flooded the house while I was gone. Yeah, I was paranoid and turned the water off everytime I left for about a year. It takes time to get over those things.

KC

Reply to
Steve Barker DLT

Regardless of who else might still be in the house? Or do you live alone?

Reply to
KLS

Well....... There's just the two of us. And i meant when there's not going to be anyone there.

Steve Barker DLT

I use an old gas range in my cottage that has FOUR standing piots. During the summer months with no other gas being used, these pilots didn't increase my gas bill over the minimum customer service charge.

Doug

Reply to
Doug