Water Heater Drainage

Well someone just did, I think (I read it 6 hours ago), in this very thread.

People also told bad stories about trying to replace the valve. I'm 67. I forget what their problems were!

This all matters if there is a relationship between draining the tank and not having a leak. That webpage someone posted talked about hot spots caused by sediment, and holes caused by hotspots, but that applies only to gas wh's. Electric wh's have the heating element in the midst of the water, no flames at all (on a good day), and even the problem with sediment covering the heating element was just...... I don't remember but it wasn't a leak I don't think.

The solution for a big leak when you're away is a pan with a drain that goes somewhere.

Ironically, if you had no pan, and it leaked a little at first, you'd have a better chance of seeing it, especially if it ran out under the door. But by having a pan with a drain, I think it's much less likely someone will notice that first small leak.

They also make water detectors, that buzz when the water reaches the two contact points. I had one in the laundry sink for a while withthe buzzer under the kitchen sink. Got to be two much trouble to change batteries.

When I had an initial small leak, it was right after the condensation from my AC had driblled all over the laudry room basement floor. Usually that amount of water dried in a day or two. It didnt' this time but I didnt' put 2 and 2 together until several days later, I got a flood, though just in the unfinished room. After that I put in a pan and ran a plastic pipe to the sump, so the sump pump will pump away any water from an initial slow leak, and maybe from the bigger leak that comes later. Though I really have no idea how fast that leak is. Does it really jump up from slow to fast without going through a little faster and a little faster yet. Of course I might not notice that either. Maybe my 2" pipe will be enough, even at maximum leaking.

Reply to
micky

On Fri, 7 Feb 2014 09:22:03 -0600, micky wrote (in article ):

No place to drain it from the pan hole. Only drain in there is for the clothes washer :( Would have to connect a hose to outside afaict.

Reply to
James

On Fri, 7 Feb 2014 09:15:20 -0600, micky wrote (in article ):

Got it. Thanks!

Reply to
James

On Fri, 7 Feb 2014 13:47:38 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote (in article ):

Thank you for clearly stating what it was I wanted to do ie power flush and a way to get the water outside given what I have to deal with. This thread should have only been a few posts long :(

Reply to
James

A lot of people have said that on this very ng, and it must have been true a few years ago, and maybe for the previous 80. I'm not sure what changed, water heaters, water, or people. .

Reply to
micky

And maybe if my father had lived longer, he would have taught me to drain the WH. But he didn't and he didn't.

The first 10 years here I had no internet, and it never occured to me to drain ir. Year 13 or so, the wh leaked and the directions for the new one didn't mention draining, afaicr.

Reply to
micky

What do other people in the building do? What did the guy who did the home inspection expect the owner to do? It surely wasn't what he did.

Don't ask the people right underneath you. If you do and then you don't do what they say, they'll know you didn't do it if and when the flood comes.

I noticed that, and it's four feet high, not the best place to put the drain for a wh that's 4.5 feet high.

And I suppose I should mention that the instructions for washing machines say to turn the water off when not in use. The hardware store guy said he sold loads of replacement rubber hoses, when they burst. He talked me in to woven stainless steel clad rubber hoses, which are much much less likely to burst, though mine started to leak a bit at the end when it was twitsted the wrong way.

Reply to
micky

Live there with him I guess. Again, he did say it was a

*house* in the very first post.

What did the guy who did the

That's a good question. Probably just said "WH missing drain pan" and the seller just put one in himself that goes no where, or got some hack to do it. I think it's code that there needs to be a drain to somewhere for a WH installed in a living space. Sounds like the seller got away with the $10 DIY fix instead of the $500 or whatever solution that was really required.

What? He has an illegal apartment down there? I guess I missed that part.

Now you're on the right track....

Reply to
trader4