Watchdog primary/back up combo sump pump any good?

I am installing a sump pump in my basement and was shopping around for a sump pump at Lowes when the Watchdog combo pump caught my eye. Seems like a good idea, but anyone know how good they are? The only problem I see if one goes bad ,you have to change out the whole unit .Am I better off putting a seperate primary and backup in the pit?

Reply to
Mikepier

if your home is above the surrounding grade, a overflow to daylight is best.

If youur basement has high value I would go seperate pums and seperate drain lines!

Reply to
hallerb

If its battery powered than its a craphoot and a dedecated water powered pump from Zoeller or Basepump is mich better, thats if you have citty water, battery stuff is is a total joke at Hd.

Reply to
ransley

Yeah, I saw the Zoeller pump too. That looked interesting. I have city water so it would be no problem. I read it takes 1 gallon of city water to remove 1 gallon in the pit. I was also thinking about getting a small generator and just hooking that up if the power went out, but of course now you have to be home when that happens.

For now, i just want to get this pit in the ground and put in a primary pump. I just finished sheetrocking my basement and before I go any further spackling/painting, I want to shift my priority to the pump. Around here we only get a little water if there is a sustained period of rain. So far it has happened twice in five years. Prior to that, my neighbors said it never happened before, so although rare, it can happen.

Reply to
Mikepier