Waste pipe sizes and joining ABS with copper

I want to add a shower in the bathroom of my office. This is a commercial structure.

The available copper waste pipe, unlike other pipe compositions, actually measures 2 inches in diameter. I see in the home improvement center that the 2 inch ABS is larger than 2 inches.

I'm going to use ABS for the shower waste pipes. It looks like most showers use 1-1/2 inch plumbing.

The sewer pipe coming out of the slab is cast iron, and a copper waste pipe (from a utility sink nearby) Y's into it using a copper elbow. A 2 inch rubber union (the kind with hose-clamps) connects the copper elbow to the cast iron Y. I could replace the copper elbow with a Y (copper?) and run the ABS into that.

How can I mate the ABS to the copper pipe or Y? Are there adapters to go from one material/size to another (ie, 2 inch copper to 1-1/2 inch ABS)?

Other suggestions?

Thanks, Dave

Reply to
sparkyguy442

2" copper is 2 1/8" O.D.

Shower drains are 2" trade size.

There is a coupling to join "anything" to "anything".

I assume you are not too concerned with the niceties of inspections and permits and venting requirements on this job...

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

well abs is kinda sucky so i would suggest PVC but there are 1-1/2 to 2 rubber union adaptors

Reply to
<moo

-=-=-=-

I&#39;ve learned that a 1-1/2 inch ABS pipe isn&#39;t really 1-1/2, but a 2 inch copper pipe is actually 2 inches. Will such an adapter fit both? Is there such a thing as a "specialty" adapter for ABS to copper pipe, since they seem to use different rulers for measurement? (c:

What&#39;s so bad about ABS?

Thanks, Dave

Reply to
sparkyguy442

Just went and bought a 2 inch threaded male fitting (copper) and a Y (ABS) and threaded female fitting (ABS). Will cut copper pipe and solder male fitting and then thread into ABS female. Then glue the female fitting to Y and away I go!

I already have 2 inch ABS pipe and fittings, so I thought I might do the drain all in 2 inch. Any reason to not do this?

Thanks, Dave

Reply to
sparkyguy442

Technically that 2" copper is tubing not pipe, that being the difference. Pipe is nominally sized by it&#39;s ID whereas tubing is sized by it&#39;s OD.

Why ABS? PVC is a better suited for drain/waste/vent apps.

The cheapest and easist way is to use a rybber union as you just described.

Reply to
hawgeye

yes.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

First off, showers are 2", not 1 1/2". Bathtubs are 1 1/2". Yes, there are adapters made to join pretty much anything that should be joined. You can try Home Depot, ask a clerk for their &#39;Fernco&#39; fittings, Fernco is one of the largest makers of rubber couplings. Each fitting will have a label which will list the types of piping that will fit. If they don&#39;t have what you want, try a real plumbing supply.

-- Dennis

Reply to
DT