Washing Machine worth fixing?

I'd go for repairs. Sounds like a bad lid switch.

Please don't call Sears repair, they are very espensive, in my experience. Go to the yellow pages, and call a local appliance repair shop.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

bigjim

Poster pays $100 now to fix machine. Maybe he will get another 13 years then that $100 was a good deal. If one or two years down the line he has to pay for something else then it was a waste. So that $200 extra he pays to get a new machine might get him another 13 years.

Reply to
bigjim

My front loader has a variable speed drive in it which uses much less electricity, uses a fraction of the water, washes better, less wear and tear on clothes, spins more water out. Thus it uses less electricity and less water and also (btw) it uses a lot less soap. The dryer too is a much better design which runs more efficiently (less gas and electricity) My utility company subsidized part of the washer/dryer initial cost because they recognize the savings Eric

Reply to
Eric

Most front loaders also are less capacity so what efficiency gains there are per load are lost on number of loads. There seems to be a considerable debate on users of the "washes better" subject from what I've read...some maybe, some "not so much".

I find it hard to believe the energy savings overall on washers is big enough to be more than just barely noticeable if at all...certainly not enough to justify the expense of a new machine over a relatively inexpensive repair...

$0.02, etc., ...

Reply to
dpb

Agree

I just junked out a 7 yr old Kenmore front loader that I bought new for $600

The bearing seized up and was NOT replaceable unless you replace the ENTIRE tub assy

Just plain junk that was not made to last or be repaired

Never again

Reply to
me

Goods guess...exactly right.

I got the parts and put them in....Washer works well again. Total was $14.

Thanks to all!