Washing machine water valves.

Probably the same guy who carries a spare ball point pen, closes the snap open lid on the dish soap every time, washes his hands twice, and changes the battery in the smoke detector twice a year.

IOW, hardly anyone on this planet.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Home Depot plumbing maven said I could not add lever valve after twist valve cause of wrong threads. But he showed me, and I bought a pair of steel braid type hoses that come with a built in automatic shut off if the hose breaks. Went home. Newer machine came and the rubber hoses were in decent shape. Since machine is in a separate garage I decided a burst hose would do no damage except for wasted water. If I am still here in 5 years I will replace the hoses.

Thanks to all for your replies.

Lou

Reply to
Lou

The one I'm thinking of also included the "feature" that there wasn't sufficient clearance to conveniently get the hose couplings on and tight as well -- in that case I did essentially what OP is asking about -- I did remove the original valves but I just came out of the wall and replaced the valves outside the box...

Reply to
dpb

I've never turned them off. Never had a hose break.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Never had a hose failure!! Never say never--all you need is to experience a burst hose just once. To me it's down right stupid to expose yourself to all the problems that go along with a hose failure, especially if you're not home when it happens. As advised, replace the existing hoses with the braided metal ones, simple and inexpensive. Next level of protection is to replace both supply valves with a single lever "ball type" shuts off As a minimum, always shut both valves when the machine is not in use. Not convinced?? Just picture what would happen if you're not home when a hose breaks--and one of these days it will. MLD

Reply to
MLD

As a MIMINUM???? What more would you do if that's the minimum???? Turn off the main supply to the house? Disconnect the hoses entirely? Install plugs in the ends of the supply lines????

I've heard of houses blowing up from gas line leaks. It may not happen as often as a water leak but when it happens its 100 times worse. Do you turn off all your gas appliances every time you leave the house?

I've heard of toasters catching fire, do you unplug your toaster, coffee pot, etc???

Not

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Minimum meaning if you don't do anything else, at least do that. Having said that, you sound like a real asshole!! Either that or your hat size is slightly higher than your IQ. Hmm, on second thought maybe both apply. MLD

Reply to
MLD