Washing Machine Shopping

This may not be the proper board to post this. I am pretty sure it would be more economical to buy new rather than try to repair my washer. I am looking at washers by Maytag and Whirlpool in $300-$400 range. Does anyone here work on them? Which ones last longer. I expect to live in this house about two or three years - and it's customary to leave appliances with house so I don't want to invest a lot of money.

Appreciate any pointers. Thanks.

Reply to
Dorot29701

Most any brand should give you three trouble-free years. Any brand can give you a lemon also. Look for capacity and features you want. Maytag and some of the higher priced brands can give 15, 20, or more years of good service.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

First thing I would do is figure out what is wrong with your washing machine now. In my experience most problems with them are minor, and they can be fixed for a few bucks in parts.

Plan B is to buy a used one in good shape out of the paper. They seem to run around $100.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

I'd find out what's wrong with your old first, unless you know it's really not worth it.

The Whirlpool direct drive washers are probably the current best bet for low-end reliability. I gather the newer plastic-gear Maytags aren't terrible, but not in line with the company's old repuation. Avoid GE.

Really consider a used washing machine in good shape. The two-belt A/LA/LAT Maytags and belt drive Whirlpools are extremely reliable and very easy to work on. Good parts support, etc. I've seen newish ones in the $50-150 range, and I paid $40 for a perfect Maytag recently. It's 20 years old and I expect it will be going witth minor service for another 10 years from the condition. A neighbor's Whirlpool hit around 35 last year.

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

The last Whirlpool washer we had was purchased in 1982. It wore out and started to rust out under the hood. We replaced it with another Whirlpool in 2000. No problems. Grandma has had lots of problems with her Maytags. I think part of the problem is that it is in a real cellar and has to pump upwards to the sewer pipe. Steve

Reply to
Steven Fleckenstein

no, maytags never need working on (according to their commercials ha)

have 3 maytag appliances, 12 years old, flawless so far

Reply to
effi

My direct drive Whirlpool lost its transmission in 5 years with only 2 people in the house using it. They have an under water seal..... seems pretty dumb to me.

Reply to
Art

If you were in my neck of the woods, I'd sell you MY used ones. They are Kenmore and about 10 years old. Few scratches here and there, but they both work fine. We bought the Whirlpool Duet and have no need for the old ones.

$100 each or $175 if you take both. All the hoses, drain, and power cords included.......

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

I would recommend Whirlpool as best for the money. For the best price go to Lowe's if there is one near you. I discovered while shopping for appliances for my new home that Lowe's is always $25 to $200 less than any other store locally for the same or comparable model (many model numbers are produced for specific retailers only -- so compare features rather than model numbers).

Reply to
Dennis Turner

We have a Lowe's about a mile from us. I went down this morning and picked out a new one. My husband is down there now looking it over. It seems like a good buy to me....fits the space and matches my Whirlpool dryer.

Reply to
Dorot29701