TV screen turns dark

My 24" Sharp TV periodically turns dark. The way I get it to come back to a normal screen is to smack it real hard on the side of the cabinet. It will then be all right for a week or two then it happens again and then I smack it again. What is your opinion of this problem, is it on its way out, and is it worth repairing. Thank you all for your help.

Reply to
Bob

99% of the time it's a loose connection, probably a bad solder joint on the flyback where it's connected to the board. Not a time-consuming thing to fix. I've do all my own, but I think the last person I talked to who had this done said it was $40.

I would, however, recommend that a tech fix this if didn't have the experience to diagnose it in the first place. Not safe. It's very easy to get killed with the electricity stored in the tube and power caps.

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

Pay to fix a 24 inch TV? If it's out of warranty, it's unlikely to be worth trying to fix it. Even finding out what's wrong will cost a good portion of what you can get a new one for.

Reply to
trader4

I'd also check for a cracked solder joint on the picture tube socket (filament pins).

Reply to
Jmagerl

On 12/23/2004 3:08 PM US(ET), GTO69RA4 took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

We have had 2 RCA TVs at one time. All the same 19" model. They both have had to go to the repair shop to fix a board where the antenna cable attaches. One had even been back for replacement twice. I have the last of them here by my computer. It is starting to act up again on channels 2 and 3 (the rest are OK). Channel 2 is unviewable and makes a loud electrical noise. Channel 3 is viewable but has the wavy lines running across the screen. Channel 2 is CBS (The Communist Broadcasting System), so I don't care about that one so much. Channel 3 is HBO. Whenever they act up, I just slam my open hand onto the screen and it clears up for a while.

Reply to
willshak

Your temporary fix is called "percussive maintenance" ;)

Probably a very simple repair, but in reality also likely not worth fixing. TVs are pretty much a disposable item nowadays.

Reply to
John Harlow

Most any repair is going to be $50 to $150. How old is the set? How much is a new one with better features?

If the TV is fairly new would cost $500 to replace, get if fixed. If it is five years old and can be replaced by a WalMart $129 model, bang it until it dies and buy a new one.

The price of the LCD models is coming down. Nice pictures on them!

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I have been collecting "discarded" TV sets for 30 years to use for spare parts, and , in almost every case, found that if I re-soldered connections on the PC board, they would start working fine again.

If you can do this, it is worth the half hour investment to have a TV that will work another 20 years or so...

If you don't know what I am talking about,... then just toss it into a dumpster. It ain't worth your trouble when youcan buy another one new from Walmart for $69..... Party on,

Andy

Reply to
Andy

"Periodically" -- like once an hour? Or do you mean "sporadically" as in random and unpredictable?

Does the sound go off at the same time?

If you normally hear a high pitched squeal up close to the set when it's functioning normally, does this change when it goes off? If the horizontal oscillator stops, the high voltage will stop as a result.

Do you hear a sharp snap when the set comes on or goes off?

Does the set "bloom" (get bigger, dimmer, fuzzier) as it is failing? What's it look like just after you wrap it up the side? How long does it take to recover?

And, ahem, is the wall plug solid?

If you look in at the neck of the pix tube, can you see the filament glowing?

Reply to
William W. Plummer

If its older then 6 yrs id buy a new one.

Reply to
PoCambo

My TV screen turned black a month or so ago. Surprisingly, I haven't really missed it and now enjoy listening to radio and Internet radio.

Reply to
Phisherman

Bob:

B > My 24" Sharp TV periodically turns dark. The way I get it to come back to a B > normal screen is to smack it real hard on the side of the cabinet. It will B > then be all right for a week or two then it happens again and then I smack B > it again. What is your opinion of this problem, is it on its way out, and B > is it worth repairing.

As the others indicated, it's a bad connection (bad solder joint, etc.). I would take it to a private TV repair shop and have a written estimate (the forty dollars suggested by another respondant sounds about right). The problem with this sort of intermittent problem is that it is intermittent - can take weeks to get the opportunity to test.

  • Sure is nice to be important, but is more important to be NICE.
Reply to
barry martin