Washing machine hot water

Can I turn off the hot water valve to my washing machine so no matter what setting is used on the washer, it always uses cold? My roommates are using hot all the time and I know it costs alot of extra money.

Reply to
imaref

It would make more sense to install a "Y" fitting on the cold water tap, and run cold water to the "hot" connection

Reply to
RBM

Reply to
buffalobill

you might disable the temp control knob somehow to minimize the use of hot water

Reply to
hallerb

Yes, but if they select hot wash then no water at all will fill. Then, they'll reach up and turn it back on and call you an idiot. Who's paying the gas bill? Not to mention, nothing but all whites needs hot at all.

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

Of course different machines may be different, but I believe you will find that most would have a problem if they set it on hot, no water would flow and knowing roommates, some would not notice it.

The best suggestion I can see is the Y-connection to run cold to both.

However before you do this, you may want to consult your roommates. After all you are sharing right? There are good reasons for using hot or warm and I doubt if they are going to like a dictator. Life for you could get very uncomfortable.

How about a compromise. Those who like hot can make a little larger contribution to the community bill fund.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

disable temp control knob so it ONLY provides cold and warm.

a buddy of mine did that at his home my newer machine has no hot setting.....

Reply to
hallerb

My Kenmore has auto-temp settings for hot warm cold, that do exactly that. And like you said, in the winter, even here in NJ, it will mix in some hot to get the correct cold water temp. You can here it intermittantly letting in some hot water as needed.

Now how this is possible, I don't understand. The washing machine presumably sits unused for long periods anyway, with or without turning off the hot water.

Reply to
trader4

The y_fitting idea seems best , otherwise as stated the unit will not fill if a hot setting is used .

if your washer was in an unheated area you would have a freezing issues with the hoses regardless of the hot/cold problem.

When I had room_mates way back , we put a jar by the washer and coffee maker so whoever used stuff had to put in a dollar for costs.

Reply to
marks542004