washing machine drain overflowing

We've recently been having trouble with our washing machine drain overflowing, or perhaps we've only noticed it recently. The washer is 2 years old, the house 23 yrs. The laundry room is off the kitchen, the drain from the machine is flexible plastic, going up the wall into a pipe that slightly extends from the wall. We can usually hear the water draining just fine, but occasionally it will overflow at the wall pipe. It seems this may be happening only when a kitchen drain (either sink or dishwasher) is also running, but we aren't sure of that. Other than trying the peroxide drain cleaner (found info in archives on Google) is there anything else we can try. I know the obvious of don't use both drains at once, but other than that....

-- remove your shoes to reply by email-Thanks

Reply to
Melissa

Hi Melissa,

Chances are the kitchen drain and the washer drain are connected. Kitchen grease + lint = stoppage. Cable the drain and you should have no problems.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Mc Namara

Removing obstructions is good therapy, but you may also have flow problems related to an amateur plumbing installation. Look for undersized drain pipes, traps, insufficient line slope and most critical, a lack of proper venting. Above your wall mounted inlet there should be a vent pipe which ought to exit the roof or into a main venting system. You may even have to remove and replace a bit of drywall to confirm what needs to be there. A good plumbing DIY book can explain it all for you and show what might need to be done. Good luck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

clean the drain with a snake.. dont use the chemicals... i had a plumber use some chemicals on mine and then years later you could see who the chemicals ate the pipe up.. cost us a fortune to dig under the concrete slab to fix the broken pipe........

Reply to
jim

You SHOULD NOT mess with this . if you are talking about it being connected to your main sewer drain ...It takes a pro or a guy who does not mind being covered in sewage shit to rod your lines to the road. Measure distance to road, ask for price , on phone, to rod to road drain , give distance ,,, get price, and pay quote....when they finish they usually give a B.S . reason for you to pay more, Pay quote..I paid over to many times for my bldgs and know their tricks, If they dont like it , and they wont, rodders rod,,,,,,, tell em to leave and give a ck for bid....A main drain clogged is asking for flood trouble

Reply to
mark Ransley

He's right. A washing machine pump is capable of discharging water at very high rate. The drain must be properly designed and in good condition to not overflow.

You should also never use a discharge without a lint trap or filter.

Reply to
davefr