Washing machine belt

Do I need a new belt?

I've tightened the belt on my old Whirlpool machine twice. I think the first time I did it wrong and didn't really tighten it, or at least not much, but the second time I thought I did well and it worked better.

But the other day, I went upstairs while it finished and when I came down, the cycle was over and the clothes were wetter than usual. I had to put it at the spin cycle again and push it off like starting a roulette wheel, and then it spun fine.

Can I assume that letting it go through the spin cycle without spinning puts a glaze on the belt and makes it slip even more?

Reply to
Micky

Could be glazed as you said, or it could be stretched beyond what can be adjusted, or both. I'd try a new belt. If that does not work, it may be time for a new machine if this one is over 10 years or so.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The alloy pulleys wear also...and then the belt "bottoms" on the hub. A new belt should be flush with the diameter of the pulley. I should be an OEM belt...

Reply to
bob_villain

Sounds like a good place to start.

On my very old Whirlpool machine, I have to take a pry bar behind the motor, and then tighten the bolt with a box wrench.

As with the old automotive belts, you may need to tighten it again after several loads.

Replacing the belt is a PIA, can't remember why. There is some mechanism that doesn't want to let the old belt out, or the new one in. I'd have to go back and look, but it was a bit of work.

I hope it works out better for you than for me.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

On the old wig wag machines the belt is captive but one of the bolts has a spacer that you take out to remove he belt. You also have to remove the wires on the wig wag.

This machine is really more like 30+ years old.

Reply to
gfretwell

I used a 60's GM jack handle for a pry bar.

Right. That's why I was avoiding it. Have to lower something. I don't remember either.

Me too.

Reply to
Micky

Thanks.

  1. Only problem is the belt is slipping.

The matching dryer, I still have not fixed. Can't fix it from the front. Have to go behind it and it's stuffed in the corner.

When I pull the washer out to work on it, I'll work on the dryer.

Reply to
Micky