washer value replacement and leaks question

Hi All,

In a month or so, we are going to have a washer repairman come and change the bearings on our Speedqueen.

At that time the wall values for the washer hoses will be easily exposed for a plumber to get at. The damned things leak up the stems and have to be dried off until the calcify over. I have tightened the nuts as much as possible. Helped, but did not fix.

I think since the house is 35 years old, it is probably time to change the valves, not just the washers in the values.

Problem: my wife is concerned that if the plumber changes the valves, that he will cause a (slow) leak in the wall that will damage the wall and the wood floor.

Your take? Should I have him cut out a piece of the sheet rock as a view square? Will it hurt to leave the square uncovered? Or should I cover it with a piece of plexiglass?

Many thanks,

-T

Maybe plumber's string would work. One type here:

Dean Hoffman

AFAIC, valves should last for 100's of years.

The washers are meant to stop water from coming out of the output pipe. That's not your problem.

To keep water from leaking out around the stems, you need to tighten those nuts, as you did, and if that doesn't work you need to replace the packing around the stems. See Dean's recommendation.

Yes, doing a bigger job than need be is a waste of money and can often lead to bigger problems.

Reply to
micky

Thank you!

Just me but I would repack the valves and call it good.

Reply to
rbowman

Thank you!

We'd install ball valves. Oh, wait. That's exactly what we did.

OTOH, we didn't need a plumber to do it.

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

I used one of those for a main shutoff. My water has all the minerals you could possibly need and a gate valve eventually wouldn't completely stop the flow.

Plumber? Whazzat?

Reply to
rbowman