Washer Leak Catcher

Hi, I have a washroom that is on the second floor of my house. What is the best way to prevent the washer from leaking down through the floors? And where can I get such a device?

~ Matt

Reply to
Matt

'll need somewhere to drain it to.

Scroll down the page for an automatic solution.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

There are several approaches. One is to catch the water with a pan under the washer; this works best with a good drain. The other approach is to stop the leak before it happens or causes problems. There are three approaches to this one.

  1. A manual hose shut off 2. A timed hose shut off that is turned on for each load and the timer shuts off the valves after a set time, like a hour. 3. A sensor shut off that turns off the water if any water is detected under the washer.
Reply to
Joseph Meehan

If you can arrange to have a floor drain put in, that's the way to go, IMHO. I've seen it done quick'n'dirty, where the homeowner made absolutely no provisions for trying to force the water into that drain (just hope for the best? yikes) and I've seen it done where the containment area was (probably) a big shower pan under ceramic tile with a litle "curb" built up at the front edge, the outer edge flush with the adjoining walls.

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz

H-D sells a plastic pan that goes under the washer, all you need to do is figure out how to run a 1-1/2" drain.

Reply to
rj