Washable/electrostatic furnace filters

Hi,

Any comments as to how good/bad washable/electrostatic furnace filters are? The local humane society has three furnaces which take 16x25x4" filters, and displosable ones aren't exactly cheap (particularly for a non-profit, and when the filter on one system needs changing every couple of weeks). Thinking of swapping over to washable ones to cut down on costs.

I've checked the furnace manuals and they say that washable filters are an option. Looking online there don't seem to be many negative comments about the washable type; most are based around air quality (disposable filters trapping smaller particles than washable ones will), but is this isn't for residential/office use maybe that's not an issue.

The downside seems to be that reusable filters in the size needed are difficult to find - I've actually only found one source via Amazon (and those are actually a 2" filter in a 4" frame, and there's no lifetime warranty on them like there is for some of the 1" filters from other vendors).

thanks

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Hi, As far as I know that is snake oil. Severe air flow restriction. Washing it clean is not that easy. Just forget it.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hi, Addendum, my furnace takes 16x25x5 size. When I tried it, did not do a good job except restricting air flow. Washing in the winter is near impossible. Finally I gave up and took one apart, two sheets of thin foam and that's it. The right size casing was near empty. Now I use alternately electronic filter(Honeywell) and Merv 11 cartridge which cost ~15.00 when buying 6 each in a box including shipping. BTW, I clean the electronic filter element in the DW.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I bought one of those washable/electrostatic 2" filters in a 16x25x4 enclosure.

The house stayed reasonably dust free but at the end of the year when I washed the filter it was not very dirty so I suspect it did not do a good job of filtering. Possibly a lot of air went around the sides.

I will try to seal it better this year and see what happens.

My AC powered electrostatic filter seems to have done a better job...but it bit the dust so to speak and I cannot a replacement high voltage transformer.

Reply to
philo

replying to Jules Richardson, r&nsnoq wrote: We've had ours for 12 years. I clean them quarterly if not more often. Finally put a calendar reminder. You can stretch it out, but the filters will be dirtier and harder to clean. plus - if you have pets, they will collect even more stuff. I love it.

Reply to
r&nsnoq

replying to Tony Hwang, r&nsnoq wrote: You don't have the full house electrostatic filtration. Now I'm confused. All of my responses to loving mine are probably wrong. I love the metal system. Whatever you have sounds like crap.

Reply to
r&nsnoq