Wall Removal

Hi, I would like to remove a wall on the main floor in my house which is roughly 80 to 90 years old. Its a two story house double bricked on the main level and wood and siding on the upper floor. Is there a way in which I can determine whether or not it is a load bearing wall? If not can someone suggest who I might call in order to help. I was thinking a structural engineer... Thanks in advance!

Reply to
rw

If the wall runs parallel to the joist it is probably (note: probably) not load bearing. If it is perpendicular, it most likely is. This is a rough guide, not engineering since I can't see the wall. Get a contractor, engineer, framer, or someone that will know for sure before you do anything.

90 years ago some strange things were done by today's standards so don't take a chance. .
Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

And if it runs parallel to the joist, but not directly under the joist, it's definitely not load bearing since sheetrock doesn't bear much of a load (as those of us who have stepped through a ceiling will attest)...

Reply to
Grumman-581

Older houses can be difficult to understand - particularly if wall and ceiling finish are in place. I'd opt for the more expensive, of Mr. Pawlowski's options - an engineer. Make sure the engineer has experience with wood frame structures and with older structures. A Stoy: There were two engineers in town that looked at an old building in which I was interested. Both were excellent engineers, but with different experience. One said tear it down while the other said a minor repair was needed. The building is still in place and doing well. TB

Reply to
tbasc

Either hire a structural engineer, to look at it, or just assume that it's load-bearing, and put in an appropriate beam and posts. The latter is likely to cost about the same as the former.

Reply to
Goedjn