Wall or Window Air Conditioner

My daughter's condo in NJ has 2 (thru-the-wall) air conditioner units, one in the LR and the other one in the BR. I would like to put new AC units in because we have gotten all new appliances, new kitchen and new bath so we might as well get new AC units.

My question is, are wall ACs different animal from window AC? I ask because window ACs seem to cost less and more variety is available. So is it possible to fit window AC into the wall opening? Also, if the size of the new AC unit is smaller (most likely it would be because ACs have become smaller), then what's the best way to fill up the space?

My last question is, right now there is a problem in that the condensate drips inside. How do I go about fixing this i.e. change the slope of the mounting bracket? thank you all for your suggestion.

Harry

Reply to
harry manka

It's been my experience that most window units will not work well in thru-the-wall or sleeve applications.

Window units have side vents in the cabinet, normally exposed to the exterior air for proper cooling and efficiency. When such units are put into a wall opening or a sleeve, those side vents are blocked, causing problems with efficiency. Of course, I've seen such Mickey Mouse installations, or do you want to do it right?

Thru the wall or sleeve units have no side vents.

Some manufacturers sell kits to compensate for the difference in size between old and new units.

There are also "convertible" units that come with their own sleeve. The chassis simply rolls out. They could be placed into a larger existing sleeve. If there was a gap, I'd simply stuff it with some insulation, plus use some plywood to trim the outside gap.

Doug

Reply to
sparks065

As sparks065 said, for use in a sleeve an air conditioner can not have side vent louvers or else reduced cooling, increased energy consumption and quite possibly reduced component life expectancy will result.

If you can find a model which both intakes and vents only at the rear, it should work Ok in a sleeve provided the back is close enough to the outdoors and not just inside the sleeve.

It could have an internal drain tube which is plugged or the unit is not tilted properly (or a combination of both). Someone would have to determine which then see what needs to be done to correct it.

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to