Wall blown cellulose (2x4)

Looking for a definitive answer whether this is possible with a Home Depot type of blower. Has anyone had recent experience doing this and with which model blower?

Reply to
Martik

I can't tell you the model, but I got it at Lowes. I note that the [lousy] instructions at both HD & Lowe's in my area don't have anything about blowing into wall cavities. The walls we did were a single floor, 20 feet long, 2x4s with plywood on both sides.

1st problem was that it has been 30 years since I last blew cellulose so I didn't ask for the remote switch. It was on page 3 of the paperwork, but I'm not certain Lowe's even had one. I had to ask 3 people to get the siding nozzle & although the machines were *well* used, the small nozzles [2 of them in a box under the counter-- far from the machines] were brand new.

The remote switch is important with the walls as you want to stop the blowing *immediately* when the nozzle clogs or wall cavity is full-- and clear the clog at the nozzle instead of having to snake 30' of hose.

The machine was also missing the sliding panel on the bottom that adjusts the flow rate. For attics that is fine, but we had to jury-rig a slider to close off about 75% of the flow for the walls.

Once we got blowing I remembered that we used to buy a finer, fluffier cellulose for the walls than the stuff we used in attics. It was less likely to clog the 1" nozzle. The stuff my Lowe's sells was very clumpy, but worked fine for a full blast shot in the attic.

All that aside, though, and with the help of a 7 yr old who was handy and caught on to the sound of the machine real quick we managed to do a 20 foot wall in a couple hours. [I got the nozzle end-- brother in law kept the hopper full and 7 yr old stood by on the extension cord and unplugged it when I said 'Whoa'. After the first couple cavities, 7 yr old often anticipated my command.

4 hours total for 30 bags- the 20 foot wall, and the rest in an attic. [not including cleanup, which is a couple hours with a good shopvac]

It worked out alright for us-- but if it was anything complicated [2 stories, lathe & plaster inside walls, lots of corners or old constuction that is likely to have corner bracing. . . I'd have a pro come out and price it.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Cellulose settles, a comercial type for walls is put in damp with a glue binder. Google about cellulose in walls.

Reply to
m Ransley

If I had to give advice, it would be to use the blown in fiberglass insted.

Reply to
scott21230