vinyl tile install question

Hi,

we're remodelling the living room with laminate flooring (concrete subfloor).

however, the entryway has a small area (2 x 4 ft) of some atrocious looking tile. i was thinking of re-doing this area in vinyl tile because

  1. i don't want want laminate directly at the entrance where tracked mud and water may damage it over time
  2. i would have to deal with removing the tile, thinset, levelling etc

at first, i thought of breaking down the old tile and prepping the floor for the vinyl. but, .. i can't seem to break the old tile very efficiently with my chisel and hammer., .. i've got rid of half a tile with about 15 minutes effort and there are 23 left to go. :(

i'm wondering if i just patch up that half broken tile with some concrete and fill over the grout lines with some more concrete or levelling compound, might i be able to use vinyl tile directly over this tile area?

thanks, vin

Reply to
v.b.

Sure, you can. Make sure the floor stone is bonding to the tile.

Follow directions and use latex modified bonding leveler.

DanG

[...]

Rent an air compressor and zip gun (air hammer) and chisel tip at your local tool rental. You should be able to strip off the old tile in an hour. Wear ear protection and a dust mask ]. Good luck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst