vinyl siding has holes

We are moving into a new home that has vinyl siding. We recently noticed a couple of holes in the siding where maybe someone threw rocks or something into it. The holes are about 1-2" in diameter. There are extra siding panels in the garage. What do we do to replace the siding with holes in it and keep the rest up? Do we need special tools? What's the difficulty rating on doing this ourselves?

Reply to
shederr

Replacing small sections is pretty easy. However, the holes may be caused because the siding is dried out and will soon need to be replaced. Vinyl dries out from baking in the sun and rocks, hail, etc pokes holes easily after it dries. I once saw what happened to vinyl rain gutters that were dried out after only 5 years, and whne the hail came, they got holes all over the place, and about 1 to 2" size.

Reply to
maradcliff

It is a very easy repar that can be done in less thatn an hour. The site below has decent instructions. As for the special tool, I use a cotter key extractor because that is what I have. Anything sturdy with a small hook will allow you to unsnap most vinyll siding. Sometimes you can even get it to unsnap by pushing down on it with your hands.

Instructions:

cotter key puller:

RayV