Vinyl replacement windows

I am going to be replacing two windows in a utility room. They have an aluminum outside fram that I will be taking out. I was going to use 1/2" quarter round molding as the blind stops on the outer piece of the wood frame, and have some trim for the inside. However, when I remove the aluminium frame on the outside, what should I cover the opening that is left (I'm assuming it is going to be wood or possibly siding). Would flashing be the right answer, or wood trim? The thing is, I've never actually seen wood trim around the outside of the vinyl window, it always seemed like it fit. What do you guys reccommend?

Thanks,

Scott

Reply to
Scot

We want to have vinyl replacement windows installed in our 16 year old home in MN. We have narrowed it down to Home Depot's windows made by Simonton windows and a local contracter who uses Hurd windows.

Anyone have any thoughts pro and/or con regarding these two manufactures of windows?

Thank you very much in advance.

Reply to
cyberodies

No experience with those brands. But Home Depot does sell Milgard windows. Bought my house (new) in 97 it has....Milgard windows with a lifetime warranty. One skylight got water between the panes .......Milgard came out and replaced entire thing no charge at all.

Reply to
Muvin Gruvin

Used to own a condo that was built in the mid-1980's with Hurd windows. They were horrible. Plastic parts were constantly breaking off.

Good luck.

Reply to
Sandy K.

Personally, I wouldn't shop windows at HD. I won't say anything about Hurd, because they're not competitive in my area.

You could give Alsides a call or stop in, ask for a list of contractors known for window installations. They're in MN, but only you would know how close they are to you. They have a good name and a decent product, they back their products as long as they're installed properly.

josh

I guess I don't see your reasoning on this. I happen to like Anderson windows. Medium priced window. HD was $35 dollars per window cheaper than another local supplier for the same window, right down to the same part numbers. I needed 19 windows, the difference between suppliers was $665 dollars. Quite a bit when you are trying to replace windows on a budget!

Reply to
Rastus

HD has products manufactured to their specifications. Though I don't know if their windows are or not, I can't find myself to deal with people which run away at the first question.

Being I'm a contractor, I find my suppliers much more helpful, and I pay less than at big box stores. I will tell you, I have asked at HD some four years ago, about certain items, and they couldn't get them. The manufacture wouldn't sell them the same product sold to wholesalers. Four years ago was the last time I stepped into a box store for any type of supplies.

I would shudder at the thought of trying to get a manufacturers rep, through one of the box stores.

I'm sure you got the same part numbers, as you could get at another retailer.

Reply to
josh

We are having 42 replacement windows installed next week. Allside was the manufacturer we selected due to the quality of the product and the references we viewed.

I agree with Josh. Allside has a terrific reputation and many solid features.

I did find it interesting that between the three quotes we got, the delta was almost 8000 from the highest to the lowest.

Reply to
Trout-hunter

On 11/10/05 07:36 pm josh tossed the following ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

*You* may get a better price at your suppliers than you would at HD, but Joe Homeowner might not -- even if your suppliers would sell to homeowners at all.

And even if you paid *more* at your suppliers than at HD, why should you care? You're going to pass the cost om (plus a mrkup?) to your customers anyway.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Be careful when comparing Home Depots in store windows to Home Depots installed sales windows. Around here the in store windows are American Craftsman (crapsman), very inexpensive. If you contract for window installation they use a Simonton window which is much better quality.

Reply to
calhoun

Wow! I never realised there was differences in Home Depots. Up here (Iron Mountain, Mi) the in-store windows are Anderson and Jeld-Wen. Never heard of American Craftsman.

Reply to
Rastus

Here in Boise, they also sell Anderson and Jeld-Wen. I would imagine that the shipping rate is a key factor in the purchase of windows by Home Depot, so the brand sold could be different in different states. However, the same brand in MI and ID tends to negate that theory.

I can't see how the installed windows and the instore windows would be different, unless the store changed brands that they purchased.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Reply to
calhoun

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote

The point was, you get better products at a competitive price.

I care, because I don't believe in installing, what I consider garbage. Of course the end user will absorb the cost. What makes you think I could/would or afford to pay for anyone's project?

Reply to
josh