vibrating noice when turned to hot

I live on the 3rd floor of a 4 story condo building which is 21 years old. It doesn't happen all the time. When it does happen, I have to turn it off and on and off and on until the vibration sound goes away. Sometimes I'm in the middle of my shower when it happens. Sometimes I don't get a lot of pressure or even any hot water! The management told me it's my problem, but I have heard from other tenants that they sometimes haven't had any hot water either so that part isn't my problem. However, someone else told me it's air in the pipes. Is this a job for a plumber or is it the responsibility of the management company? It's starting now to happen more and more so I am concerned about damage.

Reply to
ellise.sherman

NOT air in the pipes.

But it *could* be something like a loose washer in a shut off valve. The washer floats around and bangs in and out of the seat, blocking flow.

Get together with as many other tenants as you can and put pressure on the mgr. Welcome to Condo living.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

I don't know about the noise, but if several of you don't have hot water at times, that's the resonsibility of the condominium association. Not really the management company, because generally that will do whatever the condo president tells it to, and they will charge accordingly. Since you have hot water some of the time, fixing it shouldn't be that expensive, however, and it should be fixed.

Unless of course it only happens when say half of everyone in the building is taking baths and showers. (which I think could only be between 7:30 and 8:30 in the morning, earlier in some cities) If the system is working as designed and it is just overloaded at rush hour, then it might be too expnsive to be worth remedying. But it's worth bringing it up at a meeting.

Generally in an apartment building, it's beyond the ability of one resident to use up the hot water. It has to be the building.

Reply to
mm