Ventless Washer Dryers

has anyone purchased a Ventless Combo Washer Dryer?

at least LG (Tromm) and Asko makes them, they are claimed to save electric use also due to the fact they are ventless (thus no removal of indoor air where the HVAC system has to work harder)

how well do they compare with traditional side-by-side separate washer/dryer units?

Reply to
Tanya Sörense

Daughter has used Miel unit for several years and thinks it's very good. TB

Reply to
tbasc

washer/dryer units?

Ours uses cold water to remove the heat / vapour from the dryer. Works well but I don't know how much extra water it uses. Pete.

Reply to
Peter Mounsey

I am looking for reviews, if this is the kind you just put the clothes in ONCE and they wash and dry automatically?

I was told their cycle time is near 2 hours but dont know if thats true...

I think machines requiring switching stuff will be obsoilete in the future

Reply to
hallerb

I haven't but would be very interested in how well they work

Reply to
me

We have the LG Tromm and love it.

Yes, full wash-and-dry cycle can be 2+ hours, but the convenience is worth it. Throw in a full load of dirty clothes, turn it on, go to work, and come home to clean, dry clothes, no loading wet clothes into the dryer.

Energy efficiency is excellent, does a good job on permanent-press, runs quiet enough that I'll also put in a load of laundry before bed at night and have it ready in the morning.

Part of the energy efficiency is the high-speed spin, don't remember how many thousands of RPM at the top speed, so clothes start the dry cycle a lot dryer than in a conventional machine.

My other favorite feature is the 'sanitary' cycle, rather than just using hot tap water, it starts with hot tap water and heats it further, not quite boiling but something around 190F. Does a great job on towels and bedding, and it's hot enough it took red candle wax out of a cotton/poly shirt that I thought one of my sons had ruined.

One other handy feature, it runs off a standard 120v/15A outlet, no need for a highger-capacity dryer circuit.

Reply to
Joshua Putnam

The drying takes forever in mine but it's ancient ( purchased 1988 ).

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

How come American makers haven't made something like this yet?

Reply to
me

They have.

Duane

Reply to
Duane C. Johnson

who?

Reply to
me

Yes. When we moved in to our mobile home I had to give up my lovely new Maytag washer and dryer because they took too much room. So we got the LG ventless washer/dryer combo. It is the largest size. It is excellent! I love it!

If I had to choose I would stay with the washer/dryer combo. There is only one drawback in my view. I can't dry while I wash.

But then, I'm using the clothes line a lot now the weather is warmer.

MoM

Reply to
MoM

Thor for one among many others. See:

Why instantly assume that the Americans wouldn't know how to make Ventless Dryers?

Duane

Reply to
Duane C. Johnson

What I haven't seen yet is dryers that use less energy than what is required to evaporate the water in the clothes... Some ventless dryers use more than the vented versions.

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

Are you sure that Thor combo washer-dryer is made in the USA? It looks very similar in styling and capacity to the Italian made Splendide units.

Thor may have made products once in the USA but I don't think they do so now.

Doug

Reply to
Doug

Years ago I was asked marketing questions about washers and dryers, and mareked the #1 need a single unit that both washes and drys.

Perhaps they havent bcaught on here because manufactuers think it will cut into market selling 1/2 as many units?

Reply to
hallerb

I guess cause I've never seen an American one setting at Lowe's or HD

Reply to
me

You sure are making a good argument for such a unit

Got me to thinking abt looking into one

I live alone and in a small apartment and space is at a premium

Reply to
me

GE {IIRC} made one in 1960 or so. had it in the house as a kid, along with the sideways ceiling mount fridge. never remember the washer working, threw it out and the space became the dog food cubby. fridge died after 17 years, old man fixed it to sell the house[rather than remodel the kitchen]

Reply to
yourname

More likely Americans aren't willing to pay for the complexity and spend twice as long doing laundry. It is different for RV's or small apartments, but most houses have space for separate units.

Reply to
Chris Hill

Bendix was making all in one washers with gas dryers 40 years ago, and GE made washer/electric dryer combos back then too. As far as ventless, for an electric dryer all you need is a lint trap. The moisture added inside will be there no mater who makes it. Years ago they sold a sock like bag to trap lint, now everything is plastic.

Reply to
Big Al