I'm trying to understand how a ventless gas heater works. What happens to
all of the comustion gasses? from what I've managed to find out, the heaters
don't require *any* venting to the outside, so all of the exhaust must just
go into the room..... This doesn't make sense to me. What happens to the Co
The Co goes into your lungs if your house doesnt expel it naturaly
through its air cycles. If your house is tight , more so. Yes they have
high Co shutoffs, but things break. Personaly I would not have one.
All houses allow for some air exchange. Your own body exhales CO and
A properly working heater has little CO. It is not much of a problem,
however they don't always work properly. I believe all of them sold in the
US must have a monitor to shut it down if the CO gets too high. However it
can fail. Personally I would not have one. I have experienced CO once and
was lucky. I don't want to do it again. Life is too short to take a chance
like that with out a good reason.
A ventless natural gas heater burns CH4, and produces mostly
water (H2O) and carbon Dioxide (CO2). It releases both of
those, and tiny bits of carbon and nitrous oxides into the house,
depending on normal air-exchanges to swap those with outside
air before they get to dangerous levels. Carbon DIOXIDE
isn't poisonous, particularly, you're more likely to die because
the burner used up all the available free oxygen in the house
than because of an overdose of CO2. Unless there's something
wrong with the unit, it doesn't produce enough carbon MONOXIDE
to matter. I don't like the things, but that's because they give
me headaches, which I suspect is the mercaptan, (the oderant),
not the gas.
The assumption is that combustion is almost complete with very little CO or
CO2. It also assumes you have adequate air available for complete
combustion. CO is produced by an oxygen starved flame. Most have a sensor
and will shut down if oxygen is low. Many localities do not permit them to
be used in a sleeping area, and in some localities they can't be used at
all. Check your local codes. Don't used in a tightly sealed home.
This is Turtle.
If the heater or burner -- burns completely all the fuel you put into it. It
will produce little or no CO or air born carbon. If the flames don't burn all
the fuel. You get CO / Carbon mixed in the air for you to breath in and mess you
up. Now the Van Guard or other Panel Ray open heater burn at temp.s of 3,000ºF+
which burns 99.998% of all the fuel you put in it and have very little carbon to
put in your house. The .002% of the unburnt fuel waisted comes from the pilot
lite which has a blue flame and is not fuel effecient or hot enough to burn
everything but the burner or panels of the flame is 100% fuel effencient . These
heater require no venting for they don't produce enough CO or carbon for the air
to be call not good air to breath. If the heater is 100% fuel efficent you don't
need to vent it but do need a O2 sencer on it to cut it off if O2 gets low in
This is Turtle.
Earth to Eric --- First your confussing flame heat with Radiant heat. They are
two different area as to producing heat. I do know your confussed for a
cigerette lighter burns at 1,200ºF
No referrence here.
then a have a plumber B-Tank torch with no oxygen burns at 3,000ºC
Referrence here :
Then you have a Oxygen / Axce rigs that burn at 3,480ºC and that is more than
Now i have not listed the heat produced from Natural gas but here is a heat of a
candle that is far less ability to heat than from natural gas fort the candle
temperature is 1,400ºC and here is another referrence for it below. The Candle
at 1,400ºC is much hotter than 1,400ºF
Now you can referrence the different temperature of flames and types of flames
at this website for you catch up on temperature of flames and not think 800ºF or
900ºF is very hot. Sorry to bust your bubble but hey i had to say it.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.