vented in wall gas heater question

Hi All,

In another thread, Stormin' recommended a second vented gas heater that does not use electricity, instead of a generator or inverter, etc.. The idea is growing on me.

The idea is to have some kind of backup for my forced air heater during an extended electrical power outage in the winter. The aux heater must be vented due to health issues (no flames, especially natural gas, in the house).

Good idea or bad idea?

So I went looking for a vented wall unit that does not use electricity. I found these guys:

Williams Propane and Natural Gas Heaters

Any opinions? Suggestions?

-T

My refrigerator and freezers have gone for 5 days before in the freezing cold without an issue, as long as I keep them closed. And I have stand by food that can be heated with hot water. And lots of battery operated LED lights. And a phone line powered phone.

Reply to
Todd

On Thu 02 Jan 2014 12:19:59a, Todd told us...

When living in Ohio we had a gas heater installed in our 2-car attached garage, that was similar to the Williams Direct Vent Gas Heater. We were very please with its performance. Normally, we kept the thermostat set at around 55-60 degrees to keep the cars warm during the winter. :-) But we also had a workshop in the same area and we'd bump up the temperature when working out there.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Hi Wayne,

Great feedback. Thank you!

Do you remember the brand?

-T

Reply to
Todd

Why would you want to install a seperate gas heater that is only going to heat one room, when for about the same cost you could have a portable generator that can not only run the existing furnace, but fridge, freezer, lights, sump pump, microwave, or most anything you want?

You have nat gas. Get a generator that runs on nat gas. As I said in the previous thread where you were looking at batteries/inverters, they have carb conversion kits for many of the popular gas generators so that they can run on nat gas, either permanently or tri-fuel, where you can switch back and forth as needed.

Reply to
trader4

Hi Trader4,

You make a lot of good points. I would love a permanent backup generator running on natural gas. Unfortunately, it is way over my head price wise. Leaves the portable ones.

Unfortunately there are a bunch of huge hurdles from a health standpoint that I have not elucidated on as I don't have permission to spread this kind of private stuff around the World Wide Web from the party(ies) involved.

And, I do realize it is frustrating trying to help and not being privy to all the necessary information.

Thank you for the help!

-T

Reply to
Todd

On Thu 02 Jan 2014 01:09:20a, Todd told us...

I'm sorry, Todd, but I don't remember. It's been nearly 15 years ago.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

No problem. :-)

Reply to
Todd

Most HVAC contractors can get such devices through the wholesale parts house. When I did HVAC installs, I helped install two or three of them, over the years.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've said at least twice now that there are carb conversion kits available for these generators that let them run on nat gas either permanently or being able to switch back and forth. The kits cost about $175.

It's OK, we're used to it around here. And of course it effects the usefullness of the answers you get.

Reply to
trader4

Hi Stormin',

Is it better to get a plumber to run the gas line or can an HVAC contractor do to whole job?

-T

Reply to
Todd