=?UTF-8?Q??inset_beam?_retrofit_with_joist_hangers_??

When I removed a load-bearing wall to create an open-concept kitchen/living room, we placed one large LVL beam perpendicular to and under the ceiling joists where the load-bearing wall was and supported the ends. A few years later, I had a contractor do the same to create one large master bedroom. He had to remove the load-bearing wall between the two bedrooms, but instead of putting the LVL beam perpendicular and BELOW the ceiling joists again, he cut into the joists and fitted an LVL up between them (still perpendicular to them), and added joist hangers on the LVL for each of the ceiling joists (i.e. both sides of the LVL). Is there a special name for this type of ?inset beam? retrofit?

Reply to
milli...

Maybe "flush beam" as opposed to "exposed beam" ?

Looks like a lot of work just to avoid an exposed beam ;-)

Reply to
Anonymous

That's it. Yes, a "flush beam". Thank you!

Reply to
milli...