using gasoline as a substate

I have some epoxy which I want to think out. They recommend using acetone. This costs $10/ga. gasoline is $2/gal and will evaporate away too. Will gas work? I don't want to end up with a gooey shit that never hardens.

Reply to
Deodiaus

Gas will not work...go to a dollar store and get the acetone! Or use denatured alcohol.

Reply to
bob_villain

Then use acetone.

Reply to
rbowman

I don't think it is a good idea to thin epoxy. Epoxy does not set by solvent evaporation and thinned epoxy when set will not be as strong. Also use of a reactive solvent like alcohol is a bad idea.

Depending on the epoxy and curing agent, warming before use might be a better idea.

Reply to
Frank

16 oz. @ $5

we use it to loosen/remove Crazy Glue

Reply to
Retired

Someone said that gasoline leaves a petroleoum residue.

Reply to
Deodiaus

That is $40 a gallon. Why not just buy a quart of acetone at the BORG and not have to deal with the lanolin, artificial color and scents in nail polish remover?

Reply to
gfretwell

Buy a quart of acetone. I'd use what I'm sure will work rather than take the risk and have a job turn out bad. Gas is likely to leave some residue also.

But hey, you know your pain tolerance if things go wrong to save a few bucks.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Gas will not work...go to a dollar store and get the acetone! Or use denatured alcohol.

Many Years ago I have painted car with Epoxy paint it require special tinier which I purchase at the same time with the paint, if you have boat supplies near by it is possible that they might have it. It is also possible they may refuse to sale it to you unless you are in business.

Reply to
Tony944

...years ago I made an impression with clay and then a plaster cast...thinned the epoxy (with the recommended solvent) and it turned out well. It was a custom-fix gear shift knob.

Reply to
bob_villain

By your logic, why not use saw-dust. It burns , like acetone or gasoline.

Or use water - it's a very good solvent, like Acetone.

If you don't wasnt a goey mess or a failed joint, use what is recommended. You only need an ounce or two.

Reply to
clare

But using nail polish remover will LIKELY cause the epoxy to fail as it is often Ethyl Acetate instead of Acetone and it also has things like Glycerine in it. Just get Acetone and be safe.

That said, thinned epoxy NEVER has the same strength as unthinned epoxy (just like 5 minute epoxy is never as strong as a slower curing epoxy)

Reply to
clare

Gasoline has "oils" in it - which will definitely cause a problem with epoxy. DON'T use it!!!!

Reply to
clare

I just bought 32 oz of acetone at Lowes for $7.95. It doesn't have the additional ingredients of fingernail polish remover. Straight acetone defats the skin. The removers have lanolin so milady's cuticles won't be white. That would be good if you're removing CA from your hide, not so good if you're thinning epoxy.

Reply to
rbowman

Unless he's thinning a LOT of epoxy, it's only cents he's saving - not dollars.

And remember - the bitter taste of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price has dissapeared.

Reply to
clare

Except for a "bittering" agent like in antifreeze, the CVS item above is 100% acetone. That's why we use it in the science classroom

"Ingredients acetone, denatonium benzoate"

Reply to
Retired

Except for a "bittering" agent like in antifreeze, the CVS item above is 100% acetone. That's why we use it in the science classroom

"Ingredients acetone, denatonium benzoate"

Reply to
Retired

Except for a "bittering" agent like in antifreeze, the CVS item above is 100% acetone. That's why we use it in the science classroom

"Ingredients acetone, denatonium benzoate"

Reply to
Retired

Generally casting resin works better for jobs like that than epoxy -

Reply to
clare

That particular product would work well - as long as you don't intend to use the epoxy on anything you are going to put in your mouth later!!!! VERY bitter stuff.

Reply to
clare