Using epoxy to bond beam to concrete pier

Anyone heard of using epoxy cement to bond a pressure treated beam to a concrete pier? I'm considering using epoxy to fill a 1/16 - 1/8 gap between a 4x6 pt beam and a intermediate concrete pier. The beam is connected on each end using conventional beam hangers, and merely rests upon the pier midway.

The beam is part of a deck frame and I'm concerned about squeaking. I think epoxy will prevent beam flexing.

Thanks!

Reply to
working_stiff

Check for compatibility of the epoxy with the treated wood. The concrete is no problem, epoxies are used in concrete work everywhere. Bond a couple of scrap pieces of wood together in a manner that will let you whack it with a sledge or otherwise stress the joint. If all or most of the failure is in the wood, you're good to go.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

It would be better to support he wood with a Simpson anchor that will always allow the wood to dry out. If water can get to the wood where it sits on the concrete/epoxy it will have trouble eventually, even if it is pressure treated.

Reply to
DanG

Use a couple of wedges.

Reply to
dadiOH

Or a little thinset?

Reply to
Bob F

I think rather than the epoxy, I would use a jack to flex the beam slightly, and then stuff in a 3/16 to1/4 inch thick chunk of plastic. The plastic will allow the beam to slide a bit and should prevent any squeaks.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Thanks everyone, for responding with your ideas.

I'm going with the plastic shims.

Reply to
working_stiff