Using 15A breaker for 12 guage cable

I had to re-run some new circuits in my house due to a wall removed. The cable that was cut out was 12 guage, so I ran a new 12 guage cable from the box to the light fixture it first goes to. It then feeds out to other lights and outlets. When I took apart the light fixture to connect this new cable, I noticed there was 14Guage wire that continued to the rest of the circuit. So I had to use a 15A breaker instead of 20A. So basically I have a yellow romex wire in my elec panel on a 15A breaker. Is there any code that says I can't do this? Should the cable be marked "15 A breaker only' so no one gets confused in the future and puts a 20A breaker on.

Reply to
Mikepier

It's perfectly OK to do, and yes, I would mark it just as you describe

Reply to
RBM

its fine I ran a 10 gauge line to my shed to minimize voltage drops but put it on a 15 amp breaker since it doesnt need 20 amps....

Reply to
hallerb

M:

Although nothing in the code forbids you from doing this, I prefer to have #14 coming out of the panel if there is #14 anywhere on the circuit, to prevent the confusion you mentioned. If I use a larger gauge than required in running a new circuit, to avoid voltage drop or just because that's what I have on hand, I use that throughout the circuit. However, if somebody sees a 15A breaker protecting #12 wire, that should tell him to look and make sure all that circuit is #12 before uprating the breaker. Not everybody will do this. A good electrician or conscientious DIYer will, but I'm afraid not all of them are good or conscientious. You might even forget some day that the #14 is there, so it's not entirely a matter of protecting or not protecting the careless (which you just can't do no matter how hard you try). Unless the #12 was there for voltage drop (how long is it?) I might be inclined to replace it with #14 and save the piece of #12 for later use.

As it is, though, you seem legal.

G P

Reply to
pawlowsk002

I once had the opposite problem. I needed to extend a circuit that had a single 15a outlet on it; so I used #14 wire. Then I found out it had a 20a breaker on it, contrary to code. (it was #12 wire, but if it is a single outlet on a 20a circuit, it must be a 20a outlet) So I had to put in a smaller breaker.

Doing things right does avoid problems for people in the future.

Reply to
Toller

Agreed, best to do it right, but 2nd choice is to get out the sharpie indelible marker, and label the wire in the box, and maybe also write a note on the service panel faceplate next to the breaker. I leave notes inside hardware all the time for the next poor SOB, or for me five years later. I'd have to get real motivated to rip'n' replace a perfectly good run just because the wire was too big.

aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers