Unwarp wood

Is there a way to unwarp a piece of 20 x 20" piece of 1/8" inch thick piece of plywood.

I trying wetting one side and weighing it down with weights.

Thanks, Andy

Reply to
Andy

Chances are slim to none.

Reply to
Meanie

I've seen shows where the steam wood for a while to make it pliable. Piece this small may not be worth the effort.

Reply to
Frank

You may be right. Maybe I can straighten it out some by adding a frame to it?

I will be using it to make a door for a cabinet.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

1/8 inch ply for a cabinet door .. OK. if you say so. John T.
Reply to
hubops

What about gluing it to a sturdier piece of 1/2" or so? You'll need a stronger piece for a door anyhow.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

It's just a small door, nothing load bearing.

I may but a frame around it to stiffen it up.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

You and orem don't have anything positive to say.

:-)

To be occasionally expected in un-moderated group.

Reply to
Andy

  What kind of door ? If this is for a camper or other application that needs light weight , OK . If it's for a cabinet in your house , go buy a piece of 1/4" for the door . (I'm a retired Master Cabinetmaker ...)
Reply to
Terry Coombs

Weight ? really ! ... maybe if we're building a model air craft .. .. but - a small cabinet door ? .. must have spec'd those hinges pretty close ! :-) Sorry for being " negative " .. but it's difficult to avoid sarcasm on certain threads .. John T.

Reply to
hubops

  John , my 25 foot camping trailer weighs only 2400 lbs dry . They do that with stuff like bonded foam/plywood construction - and they use 1/8" ply panels on the inside , fiberglass on the out . The doors all have very nice solid oak frames - and 1/8" plywood panels . Floor panels use 1/4" - and we were warned that high heels could pierce them . Do a little research next time instead of spouting off about things you know nothing about .
Reply to
Terry Coombs

ote:

I have seen plenty of warped 1/4 inch plywood in the stores.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

OK I give up. I stand duly chastized ... Let the engineers run the weight difference between a 20 x 20 inch piece of 1/8 and 1/4 - and then apply it to the little cabinet door ... duh. John T.

Reply to
hubops

  An ounce here , an ounce there , coupla pounds somewhere else , it all adds up .
Reply to
Terry Coombs

Oren posted for all of us...

This is Andy. In his usual style he has already responded negatively to several posters.

On the plus side this is actually on topic for this group.

IMHO I would bag using the old piece and buy a new one.

Reply to
Tekkie®

Not negative.

Merely responding to unhelpful responses.

If you can't say something positive, you shouldn't respond at all.

John Doe :-)

Reply to
Andy

OK I won't.