Unfused connection

Is it required that I run rigid conduit inside a building from the meter base to the entrance panel? The run from the meter to the entrance panel will be at least 20 feet. Locating this outside the building would be very difficult.

Thanks, Boden

Reply to
Boden

The NEC doesn't require it, but some local jurisdictions do

Reply to
RBM

If you install overcurrent protection at the meter, conduit may not be required. Other variables may come into play such as if the run will be subject to abuse. Without overcurrent protection article 230.6 may be applicable where the conduit must be encased in concrete. You should check with the power company and the authority having jurisdiction for this question.

Reply to
John Grabowski

Better check your local building codes. In our locale the maximum allowed distance from meter to service panel is 5' and it must be in conduit. In any event, the building inspector people can be very helpful with good ways to do things that meet code requirements. Good luck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Very rural area, no codes, no inspections and the power company seems disinterested. All they want is a meter box to connect to.

What I want is to apply best practices, so I think I will go with rigid conduit since abuse is unlikely and I don't want to deal with concrete.

Thanks all.

Reply to
Boden

you can run a service entrance cable but seeing its more than 5 ft. you will need a service disconnect outside.

Reply to
sym

Check with your power company and your building inspection department. In some localities, like ours, conduit is required and distance from the meter base to the service panel is limited to 5' or less. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe

the rule is reasonable to allow you to shut off power in a emergency minimizing a electrical fire from meter to main breaker.

Reply to
hallerb