Unfortunately your phone is not compatible ...

"Unfortunately your phone is not compatible Not all phones are made to work with Xfinity Mobile, but you can still join Xfinity Mobile by trading in your current phone and buying a new one."
Has anyone ever seen the above msg ? We are trying to switch phone carrier s and the agent with Xfinity kept getting the above popup msg. We were told a number of reasons why this could happen: "Phone is the wrong technology" , "Phone has wrong antenna", Not compatible IMEI number. These are "Galaxy 10+" phones, 3 months old !
Don't know much about phones. Any help is appreciated.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes:

The S10+ is 5G compatible.
Maybe it meant Xfinity doesn't do 5G?
--
Dan Espen

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 01 Aug 2020 21:01:45 -0400, Dan Espen

Instead of trying to switch carriers, I'd try for a second opionion by trying to sign up for Xfinity and see if they ask what phone you have, and give you the same answer
If the answers here are not enough, check out comp.mobile.android.

Could be, but pretty stupid to shoo him away just for that.

Xfinity uses the Verizon network. ATT and Verizon use different technology but some newer phones can use either.
This may help. Or visit your local Xfinity office https://www.whistleout.com/CellPhones/Guides/BYO-phones-how-to-take-your-phone-to-another-carrier

Xfinity also _heavily_ uses thei WiFi cloud [a], so if your phone doesn't have wifi voice connection capability (most do now, but not all, and the phone also has to be able to handle the auto validation to Xfiniti..) then it won't work.
[a] the factory/default cable modem/wifi base they provide subscribers has _two_ separate wifi IDs in it.
The first is your own home base, which will require your own set of usernames and passwords. This will only work on your own system.
HOWEVER, they've got a separate SSID (base station ID) which is the same on _all_ the default factory cable modem bases.
Hence, if your Xfinity phone is in range of any of the literally millions of these, then it'll hook up via WiFi.
Similarly, if you have an xfinity account, you can set your laptop to use that universal ID, and this will let you use your laptop at, again, any of the millions of hot spots.
Note that most customers do NOT realize their cable modem base is semi public. There's no significant downside to it, and it does NOT crimp down your official account speed when people hook into it.

There are other MVNOs that use the Verizon network. A list of some here. <https://www.reviews.org/mobile/best-verizon-mvno/ Are you dead set on Xfinity?
On Saturday, August 1, 2020 at 7:48:26 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

in Xfinity

ers and the agent with Xfinity kept getting the above popup msg. We were to ld a number of reasons why this could happen: "Phone is the wrong technolog y", "Phone has wrong antenna", Not compatible IMEI number.

That's a lot of good info, no wonder we are having issues going from T-Mobi le to Xfinity. The link is great, but it only covers Samsung phones up thr ough 7. We purchased Samsung 10+ phones last March. Just purchased new sim cards from Verizon free, but $20 activation fee. Should work. At the Xfinity store the agent was able to insert a different sim card into the phone and it worked ? I was sure that incompatibility s tuff was all wrong !
On Saturday, August 1, 2020 at 8:48:26 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

in Xfinity

ers and the agent with Xfinity kept getting the above popup msg. We were to ld a number of reasons why this could happen: "Phone is the wrong technolog y", "Phone has wrong antenna", Not compatible IMEI number.

Googling you can find what technology and which bands Xfinity uses. You also can find what your phone supports. Since it's a new, high end Android phone, my strong suspicion is that it will work and Xfinity doesn't know what they are talking about as evidenced by the stupid excuses they gave you. Could be as simple as since it's new the dummies don't have it entered into their list of supported phones.
Meanwhile if there is good Tmobile coverage in your area, check out Mint Mobile. They are a MVNO running on Tmobile. You can get unlimited voice/text and 3GB of high speed data for $15 a month, up to 12GB of hs data for $25 a month. After that it slows to 2G speed, so if you use more data than that, skip it. If you or anyone you know wants to sign up with Mint, let me know, I can give you a referral code for a $15 credit.
On 8/2/20 10:22 AM, trader_4 wrote:

I thought about it briefly. Coverage is pretty spotty west of the Missouri River. Nebraska is a big dead spot. <https://www.mintmobile.com/coverage/
On 08/02/2020 09:33 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

T-Mobile isn't great in Montana but even Verizon only covers 58% of the state. It's pretty much limited to the valleys and along the major roads. I turned the phone off last weekend because I knew there was no signal where I was. No surprise, since there weren't any people either.
There are some holes that I wouldn't expect. My version of war driving is to pipe Jango to the radio over Bluetooth. When the music stops, I'm in a hole.
Years ago my boss tried to convince me to get a cellphone with the argument that I go off hiking by myself and it would be great in emergencies. I didn't have the heart to tell him where I go I'd need a satphone.
The only annoyance is I have a geocaching app that is spotty. It's not time to retire the Garmin with preloaded points.
On 8/2/2020 12:40 PM, rbowman wrote:

Same with me hunting in crowded DE. Many place I hunted had no reception and I carried a Garmin gps.
Sitting here typing this right now I just turned on my cell phone to "no service". As the crow flies, cell tower is less than 2 miles away but their is a hill between us blocking it. I have a simple flip phone but wife's smart phone works on our wifi.
On 08/02/2020 11:16 AM, Frank wrote:

I know of two places around here where there are homemade signs saying 'cellphone pulloff'. These aren't the safety pulloff signs that the state puts up but the sweet spots where the locals have figured out you can get a signal.

I'm certain Xfinity Mobile service will be top-notch but be  sure to find out the final cost.
Comcast is notorious for adding below-the-line fees that you don't discover until after you've ported your number.