Unethical

Suggesting that a case of Scotch in the appropriate trunk would expedite the approvals?

Reply to
rbowman

In my patch, that would have slowed down your job because I would red tag the job and have you explain to the CBO what the scotch was all about.

Too many lawyers for that kind of stuff these days and inspectors can go to jail.

Reply to
gfretwell

Lots of things have changed in Florida since then. To start with "inspector" is not a patronage position these days. You can't just be the mayor's son in law. You need to be certified and licensed

Reply to
gfretwell

Give the guy $200 and his "ethics" will go away.

Reply to
G. Morgan

But that does not mean you cannot accept tips. My stepfather was a contractor and did a lot of major remodels and makeovers. His work was good and always to code. When the inspector came, it was my mother's job to put an envelope someplace, on a counter, whatever. It was always gone when he left. This was in a large east coast city that employed dozens of inspectors.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I was never offered a tip and I would not have taken it if offered.

If for no other reason, too fuggun many lawyers.

If I passed a violation for a tip and someone got injured or there was any significant property damage someone would sue my ass off.

As long as I am doing my job, I am covered by sovereign immunity but willful misconduct is the exception to that immunity. It is not the wild west anymore.

Reply to
gfretwell

I grew up back east and that's how a lot of things went. Actually the system functioned quite well. The bureaucrats have some skin in the game and it's to their economic advantage to ensure things get done.

Reply to
rbowman

That is totally unethical. Just as a cop receiving a free lunch.

Reply to
Pico Rico

Of course it is, but that was just a normal workday. In our town with one inspector, I'd never think of such a thing, but in the big city, it was common. Had nothing to do with violations, but it may have in some cases.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

You have an inspector who said something to a homeowner. The homeowner told a friend. The friend told you. You told us....

Who knows exactly what was asked and said. It's very possible that what really went on is somewhat different.

Reply to
trader_4

Some of the responding posters seem to miss that your father's work was to code and didn't have to redo anything.

In 1970, I took a bus from Nuevo Laredo Mexcico, on the border with Texas, and they place the customs station about 5 or 10 miles from the border (to make life simple for Mexicans living close to the border, and simple to go from the US to Mexico and back**) . It was dark out already, with no lights on the bus itself, A customs inspector got on and I saw everyone in sight take out what I'm sure was money and give it to him. Maybe they were all importing something and really owed customs. Maybe that was an advantage of going to the border, something like the duty-free store in an airport, but at the time, I thought they were mostly bribing the inspector.

I had nothing that was new and would not have owed customs, so I just say there, looking like an American. The inspector ignored me. Didn't even ask if I had anything to declare.

So were they bribing him or not?

**I slept 2 or 3 nights in Mexico, where it was cheaper, and 1 of the 3 times I walked back to the US, I had to drop my pants for a search. But I didnt' have to go through Customs!
Reply to
micky

As I said in my OP "This story must have lost something in transmission."

Reply to
micky

Adam Kubias posted for all of us...

malfeasance, misfeasance, nonfeasance...

Reply to
Tekkie®

Oren posted for all of us...

It all boils down to some people have ethics and some people don't. One can read this daily in the newz and here in the groups. Always trying the shortcut... I love the TV show "Catch a Contractor". They have now caught Manny twice!

Reply to
Tekkie®