Understanding Gas Fireplace

I bought a condo build in 2009 6 months ago that has a natural gas fireplac e. Did bother to ask the previous owner for the instruction manual. Looki ng at it I don't even see a way to get at the flue, the starter, the pilot, etc. I can even see a way to access the fireplaces interior. Can someone guide me a bit here, last thing I want to do is break something! Thanks.

Reply to
tim

Brand? Model? Link to a photo?

Some even have remote controls, many have no pilot light but an electric spark. May or may not have a flue.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Talk to a neighbor that also has a fireplace, most of these are very similar, and the builder probably put in all the same make and model to cut his/her costs by buying in bulk.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Hi, My house, my rental condo downtown, cabin out at in the wilderness have NG FP. Flu? probably it is dircet vent type, so don't worry about flu. Starter? Do you see pilot light on? No? then light it like lighting old furnace or water heater. Do you have fan? proly it is thermostat controlled so fan switch should stay on all the time, it comes on when triggered by heat and goes off when FP cools down. If you know the brand name of FP, you may be able to get owner's manual on line.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

ace. Did bother to ask the previous owner for the instruction manual. Loo king at it I don't even see a way to get at the flue, the starter, the pilo t, etc. I can even see a way to access the fireplaces interior. Can someo ne guide me a bit here, last thing I want to do is break something!

Please take a look at the picture here:

I can't seem to find the make or model.

Reply to
tim

:

place. Did bother to ask the previous owner for the instruction manual. L ooking at it I don't even see a way to get at the flue, the starter, the pi lot, etc. I can even see a way to access the fireplaces interior. Can som eone guide me a bit here, last thing I want to do is break something!

My procedure based on what I see, would be:

Open flue

Turn on switch in pic. That switch might be for a fan to blow warm air, or it might be for the whole thing. If it's for a fan, then it probably doesn't need to be on, but won't hurt.

Turn on gas valve with red handle

Set gas control valve, to about 1/3 on, ie between min and max on the dial

At that point, I'd wait a couple mins and make sure you don't smell any gas, there is no sound of gas leaking, etc.

Turn black gas valve to pilot and press down, continue to hold

Light pilot light, (which will be at end of where the pilot light tube that comes out of that valve goes. One of the hand held butane lighter wand things is good for that.

Continue to hold down gas valve for about 90 secs.

Release valve, pilot light should stay lit (if it doesn't try again, holdin g gas valve down longer)

With pilot lit, turn black gas valve to "on".

When it lights, use the gas control valve to adjust between min and max for desired flame.

If it doesn't fire up, turn off both valves and call a pro.

Reply to
trader_4