Underside of stainless steel sink STINKS HORRIBLY!

Micky (and others, whose replies I've really appreciated!) -

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about this. What a frustrating dilemma to try to solve! As I mentioned in one of my replies, the sink we chose isn't a standard rectangular shape, but has some "free form" modernistic curves in it, so the hole for the sink in the granite countertop was cut to that shape. Woe is me -- to try to find any other sink with that shape and size!

At this point, my wife is in favor of our trying to tolerate the smell. Both of us hate perfumed deodorizers so we'll look into alternatives to the Arm & Hammer odor eliminator that hasn't helped.

Another option at this point, though admittedly not a good one: I don't own an airless paint sprayer, but I may buy or rent one so I can try to spray the Zinsser odor blocker up onto the sides, front, and back of the sink that I couldn't reach well even with the soft foam extension I sewed together. I realize that spraying the Zinsser would be an unlikely help since it didn't block the odor from the bottom of the sink.

If we can't live with the problem, I'll contact granite countertop installers to see if they can lift the granite top and replace the sink (that is, _IF_ I can find another sink that shape!).

And I may contact the sink's manufacturer in writing to see if they can be persuaded to accept responsibility. No one buys an undermount sink that may require tearing out the granite countertop in the future because the sink's sound-deadening material starts off-gassing an intolerable stink.

Reply to
Owl1

Thomas

Another possibility could be to get (rent?) an ozone generator and run it for weeks under the sink, and see if it will oxidize away whatever stinks.

Reply to
Bob F

I missed that.

Generally, people stop noticing both good and bad smells after a while. The sensors get tired or something. That's how garbage men are able to do their job without being botherer, or bothered much?, by the smell. But I don't know if that means they have to start from the beginning everr day or if it carries over from day to day.

Also, maybe you can convince yourselves it's a good smell. For example, I like the smell of oil refineries. I've heard that some people like the smell of sweat or even flatulence.

Right now I'm in Baltimore smelling the Canadian forest fires and I'm starting to like that smell (after about 10 days.)

As a last resort, yOu could lend your house to one of your children, maybe the stinkiest one, who can't afford a nice house of his own, and take it back 10 years from now when the smell is gone.

Reply to
micky

Indoor ozone can damage your lungs.

invalid unparseable

That's why you close the cabinet door.

Reply to
Bob F

I still think an epoxy resin is going to seal the surface better than a (probably) latex paint.

Reply to
Bob F

It will be like releasing Zyklon B under the sink and close the cabinet door. Are you stupid or something?

The space down there is not airtight.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

If you are that concerned, do it while you are away on vacation or while the house is being ventilated. It's not like

Ozone is a common solution for odor problems. It is nothing like hydrogen cyanide.

Reply to
Bob F

We once had a hot tub that used ozone to help the bromine keep the water clean. Ozone is not that big a deal. The dose makes the poison.

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton