Underground Wiring: Type ?

New:

For running 110V wire to an outdoor lampost, but the run will be underground.

Is there, these days, some directly buriable (like the NM variety used indoors) that can be used per code, without the necessity of running it in a buried conduit ?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Robert11

I lifted this from an earlier thread to simplify matters for you: NEC table 300.5 allows for 12" burial depth for type UF cable used on residential branch circuits rated 120V or less with GFCI protection and a maximum 20A overcurrent protection. Note 4 clarifies this.

RicodJour

Yes, there is. It's called Type UF (Underground Feeder), and it's readily available at home centers and hardware stores. If the circuit is 20A at 120V, or less, and protected by a GFCI, you can bury it as shallow as 12 inches without conduit.

If any part of the cable will be above ground, you need to make sure you get cable that's rated for exposure to sunlight, and you may also need to make provisions for protecting it from physical damage.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Check your local code. Our building inspector wants 18" deep.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Good point -- local codes *always* supersede the NEC.

Reply to
Doug Miller