underground electric

I have been looking with no luck for the trench depth to run an outdoor circuit.

I plan to run the circuit from an existing receptacle in the garage. through the wall to a receptacle, out of that box underground to a pole to a

2nd receptacle then up a pole to feed a light.

Also, while I am here, is there any other requirements or suggestions for running a circuit out to power a pool filter.

I also want to run a phone line out to the pool. I know it cannot be pulled in the raceway with the power, but does it (or should it) be in pipe?

Reply to
xrayer1995

snip...

Visit your local building inspector with a list of questions. You will find out exactly what is code and what is not, the proceedures, the whole deal. For example, you may be able to use simple direct burial cable in a trench at some specified depth. Phone lines are often direct burial at specific distances from power lines. Be sure to call for utility markings before doing any digging. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

NEC rules are as follows:

Use a GFCI outlet or breaker at the house, and run UF cable buried at 12 inches or more to the pole. Or, run PVC conduit at the house buried to 18". Or, run UF, USE, or other direct burial cables buried at 24" inches deep. Or, do either of the above two with wire or raceway buried at 6" and covered with 2+" inches of concrete.

The first case is limited to 120V 15A or 20A GFCI protected circuits. The other three are not limited to a max current.

Pool circuits are quite complicated, and it depends on the type of pool you have (hot tub, permanant pool, storable pool). Go read NEC article 680. You need an insulated neutral that is at least #12 in size, so Romex and UF Cable are out (their neutrals are covered but not insulated). If the receptacle is between 5' and 10' from the pool, it must be a single twist lock receptacle. If between 10' and 20' from the pool, it can be a normal weather proof outlet. You must have 1 outlet between 10 and 20 feet from the pool. Needs to be GFCI protected if the motor is not hardwired.

Phone cable can be direct buried. But you need to buy exterior cable that can be constantly wet whether you put it in conduit or not, as underground conduts sweat and are always wet.

-- Mark Kent, WA

Reply to
Mark or Sue

What if you use a SQUARE rod ?

Reply to
anon

Wish pounding them into the ground was as easy as adding a "G." I gave up after 3 tries on my last one (river rock about 5 feet down) and finally cut off the top 8-10 inches and pounded on it some more just for looks since there was little question it was a good ground.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Didn't call your local building department then...

Locally, 18" in conduit, 24" for direct burial.

GFCI?

Since a filter doesn't need electricity, I'm assuming you meant a pump. Check the manufacturer's specs, then your local building department for specific requirements.

If you use direct burial cable, it doesn't need to be. I dug mine into a conduit since we've had several mishaps with cutting cables while landscaping before. Also, low voltage doesn't need the depth requirement and locally you're lucky if phone/cable actually get beneath the sod.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Cochran

X > I have been looking with no luck for the trench depth to run an outdoor X > circuit.

Ran one here a few years ago about 18" deep.

X > I plan to run the circuit from an existing receptacle in the garage. X > through the wall to a receptacle, out of that box underground to a pole to

X > 2nd receptacle then up a pole to feed a light.

I'd put a GFCI on it the circuit isn't already protected.

X > Also, while I am here, is there any other requirements or suggestions for X > running a circuit out to power a pool filter.

220v, isn't it?

X > I also want to run a phone line out to the pool. I know it cannot be pulled X > in the raceway with the power, but does it (or should it) be in pipe?

I would just to protect it from burrowing critters gnawing through the phone line. BTW, would a cordless phone do just as well? They offer models with two receivers and two bases -- one base just a charging cradle.

  • Time takes to sail 220 yards at 1 nautical mile per hour: knot-furlong
Reply to
barry martin